1.

Connor walked into school, Zoe following close behind. He stops at his locker on the left side of the hallway. Zoe's was right across from his. It was still the first week of school.

    Zoe tapped on her brother's shoulder. "Hey, Connor, this is Evan." Connor looked at the blonde boy standing next to Zoe. He forced a smile.

    "Hey, Evan. I'm Connor." His eyes flickered around the hallway, his attention being dragged from one person to another before his black and white vision slowly faded. His eyes widen, he leaned over to Zoe.

"Zoe... I'm starting to see color," he whispered to his sister, her eyes widened, too.

"Is it Evan?" she asked.

"I'm not sure," he told her and intensely stared at Evan. The color didn't intensify.

"Hey, Evan! Hey Connor! Loving the new hair length. Very school-shooter-chique." Jared brought an explosion of too-awakeness-for-7am into the conversation. The world became fully colored to Connor.

"Oh my god, it's Jared," Connor whispered to Zoe, and she burst out laughing.

"Oh my god... Oh my god, you're serious?!" Zoe said much too loud for the conversation they were having. Connor didn't say anything. He felt too awkward, too embarrassed to say anything.

"You guys are so weird." Jared laughed. Connor couldn't look at him in the eyes. He wondered what color they were. He wondered what he looked like in color. He went against his own wishes, peering into Jared's face. His cheeks were pink and his eyes were hazel. Connor, of course, couldn't name the colors he saw. He named the colors in the rainbow, but he still hadn't seen color, he still didn't know what they looked like.

"Connor, you okay?" Jared asked, a smile prominent on his face.

"Yeah. Wanna hang out after school?" Connor responded, his braveness surprising even himself.

"Oh. Yeah. Sure." Jared smiled. He seemed awkward, he could see color, too. Right? Connor was scared, he's heard of people who are soulmates couldn't see color. People who're soulmates weren't their soulmates. His heartbeat sped up. Anxious, he scribbled his phone number on a sticky note and handed it to Jared before leaving. He just sat on the floor upstairs, outside of his first period. He stared at his phone, waiting for a text from Jared. Waiting for his phone to go off. When it finally did, it was just Zoe. 'you played it super smooth.' the text read. He rolled his eyes, deciding not to respond. His heart skipped a beat when his phone lit up with an unknown number. 'It's the INSANELY COOL Jared Kleinman," the text read.

Connor: "Hey Jared."

Jared: "I've seen you around. Why are you wanting to hang out now?"

Connor: "I guess I've just never seen you around."

Jared: "You interested? :P"

Connor: "Oh please, Kleinman. Don't flatter yourself."

Jared: "Damn. And I thought I saw some color."

Connor: "Oh really?

The bell rang. Connor frowned. He waited for a response, but he inevitably needed to get to class. He shuffled into the room and droned his way through his classes. All without Jared texting him.