Chapter 2

Eragon could not take his eyes off of Arya, even after she had been in his house for twenty minutes. Saphira's amusement radiated through their mental bond, alongside the joy she felt for Fírnen's return. Eragon finally managed to regain control of his senses. Arya, too, looked amused at the expression on his face, but seemed pleased to see him. The last time they had seen each other was on the deck of the Talíta, the boat which had brought Eragon and his elf companions so far away from Alagaësia. They had spoken their true names to each other, before Fírnen had snatched her away. At the time, he had thought that might be the last time he would ever see her again - at least, in person. Now, here she was, sitting in his home.

"How long has it taken you to get here?" Eragon had finally managed to speak. "We left Ellesméra six nights ago, and have flown during daylight hours." Arya looked at him, still amused. "I think you have chosen somewhere far enough away." Eragon nodded, a smile touching his lips. Despite the humour, he was pleased. If it took six days for anyone to arrive on dragon-back, it would take weeks by boat or on horseback. "How long will you be staying?" Eragon asked. He adjusted his facial expression to make it seem as if he did not care how long she stayed, but he sensed that Arya knew the truth. She always did. She shrugged, "As long as we like, or as long as you are happy for us to stay. An elf I trust with my life is taking care of things in Ellesméra, so there is no rush." This time, Eragon could not hide the delight on his face. Arya smiled back at him. "I had hoped you would be pleased." Clearly, Fírnen had just told Saphira the same news, because she could not contain herself. Her roar of elation echoed across the mountain. Eragon looked out of the window. The light was beginning to fade. The sun had now almost completely disappeared, dropping around the side of the mountain and below the horizon. "I have an additional room if you would like to stay here tonight" Eragon said, casually, but also with a touch of hopefulness. Arya thought for a few moments. "I thought I might try out one of the new rider homes you have built." Eragon's heart sank, but inwardly realised it was perhaps for the best... for tonight, anyway. "Yes, of course", he said, standing. "I'd like to scry Nasuada first though, if you don't mind." Eragon nodded and Arya followed him upstairs to his study. He gestured towards two mirrors on his desk - one engraved 'Orik' the other 'Nasuada'. Both mirrors were blank. Arya sat down at the desk, unbidden, and pulled the latter towards her. She muttered a few words in the ancient language, and after a few seconds an image appeared on the mirror, which Eragon recognised as the back wall of Nasuada's study in Illirea. A conversation had clearly been taking place on the other end, because he heard Nasuada cut off whoever she had been speaking with. "-must continue another time" Eragon heard her say. A door closed somewhere, there was a shuffling sound, and then Nasuada appeared on the mirror. A look of light relief crossed her face as he laid eyes on Arya, and then pleasure at seeing Eragon. "I have arrived, Lady Nasuada" Arya said.
"Yes. I can see that. Thank you. I was beginning to worry."
Arya smiled, a haughty expression crossing her face. "It has perhaps taken longer to reach Eragon than I may have previously estimated."
"Quite. Six days! It is a good job you did not need to ride there."
"Indeed. Now, perhaps we will speak again on another day - whenever your next scheduled meeting with Eragon is? Very good."
Eragon and Nasuada exchanged brief pleasantries, and then everyone said goodnight. Arya let the magic she had been channeling through the mirror fade, and it became blank once again.
"Shall we?" Arya said, walking out of the room. Eragon started. He had been daydreaming. He was suddenly glad Arya could not actually read his mind. Saphira's amusement radiated through their bond yet again.

Eragon and Arya flew to the growing collection of buildings that would serve as homes for riders whilst they stayed and trained with Eragon. These were very close to the elves' forest, so they dropped in en-route. Blödhgarm greeted them. He bowed to Arya. "Atra esterni ono thelduin."
"Atra du evarínya ono varda", Arya responded.
"Un atra mor'ranr lifa unin hjarta onr."
He turned to Eragon. "We heard Saphira's roar and were readying ourselves for battle, but recognised Fírnen."
"Good. Thank you, Blödhgarm."
Arya and the blue furred elf exchanged a few words. She passed on words of love from friends back in Du Weldenvarden, and he told her what they had been up to so far in their new home. Other elves appeared from the forest to greet Arya. Many had questions about their loved ones and Arya was only too happy to fill everyone in.