1.3 - The Story of Mates

"What we find in a soulmate is not something wild to tame but something wild to run with."

There are a couple general things to know about mates, and if you want to learn more, read further, onto the A), B) and C).

     Wolves are maybe the most loving mates in the Shifter world.

     Each Wolf is born with soulmate that they can find at anytime, though they will not necessarily fall in love with them at first sight. Instead, they feel a deep sort of connection with them, and feel complete and satisfied in their presence.

     A soulmate is discovered through looking into their eyes. The Wolves will feel, rather than hear, a click in their heart. They are finally whole. From what I've heard, this is one of the best feelings in the world.

     When romantic feelings develop between the two mates, they will consummate the bond. This consists in behaving like bunnies and staying in bed for hours not doing very religious stuff. During this act, both the Wolves will "mark" each other. It imprints their smell into their mate's, staking a claim to bachelors. Then they have a couple litters and live happily ever after (for most).

     This brings us to pups. As we will later see, a pup can shift from the moment it is born. Mothers can usually have up to three litters of four or six pups each, that are born around the same time (like twins, but cooler).

     A very important matter that I hate and is coming up in Werewolf stories written by humans is the difference in rank. Wolves are mates with their equal. Therefore an Omega (weakest Wolf in the Pack) will not be mates with an Alpha.

A) Marking:

     Marking is completed during...hummm...this is awkward...sexual intercourse. Both Wolves bite eachother in their neck, leaving a scent marking and a small tattoo. Only two soulmates can mark without the mark festering.

B) Ranks:

     I've already mentioned this, but if you thought an Omega would be mated with an Alpha, no. Just, no. Any Wolf will tell you that mates are equal and Omegas are just not equal to Alphas. Rarely, a Beta and an Alpha can be mated, but the Beta must be particularly strong, and never the opposite. If the Alpha is weak, they won't be Alpha for much longer.

C) Packs:

     If a Wolf finds their mate in another Pack, one of the two cna decide to join their companion's Pack, or both can decide to leave their Pack and choose a new one. However, the latter is less common.

And that's all for today, if you wish to learn more about a particular area of mateship, just comment a question and I'll add it!