Chapter 2 - Ashton's POV

Standing there is a girl--can you even call it that? Well, it certainly has female body parts. Except for her eyes are pure black, and she has talons for fingers. And--I gasp as I notice she has tentacles for hair. She pushes past us into the living room, looking around.

Before I can react, her hand is around my throat and she is lifting me up with one arm, my feet dangling off the floor like I'm a rag doll. She's definitely not human.

Chloe screams, and Brad zaps to reality. He punches the--thing--as hard as he can in the jaw.

She barely reacts, just laughs as he recoils, clutching his knuckles, which are now bleeding.

My vision is starting to gray out, and the last thing I see is Brad grabbing Mom's gun.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

I wake up to Chloe and Brad's faces hovering over me.

"Oh thank God! I thought you were dead!" Chloe exclaims, hugging me. I sit up too quickly, and have to lay back down because of how dizzy I am. I look around and see the monster's body lying on the ground. Brad smiles when he sees my amazement.

"This gun is pretty awesome."

"No kidding!" I reply.

"Oh, come here." says Brad. He is holding his Glo panel. I see he's in a group meeting with half of the people on our floor.

"Brad! How did you get all those people on?!"

"When there's an unknown problem, people get curious. I've showed them the body, and we're making a plan of attack." I look at his panel to see the faces of at least fifty of our neighbors in their separate dorms.

"Hey Ashton!" They say.

"Hi guys." I sigh and laugh. I know this is not a time to be laughing, but I just can't help myself. It's all so ridiculous. I was just choked by a buff Medusa. We may be in mortal danger! Yet--it seems like a joke.

"Everyone's gathering weapons and meeting in Miss Suzette's dorm. Come on!"

Chloe and I grab our Glo panels as Brad grabs the gun and we head up two flights of stairs to Miss Suzette's dorm, where a crowd is slowly gathering with an assortment of strange objects that one could hardly call 'weapons'.  Little Patricia is holding an old golf club which she can hardly lift off the ground. An old lady is holding baby powder. Everyone is sporting objects such as heavy textbooks, perfume bottles, screwdrivers, frying pans, and even a burning candle in a candlestick. We must look like a pretty intimidating army.

"Okay," Brad says, taking charge. "We need to search the entire spacecraft for monsters like these. We'll split up into groups of three and search different areas. Call the group on your panel if you spot one, so we can all gather there to take it on together. All right, gather your group and let's get going!"

Somehow I end up paired with a creepy six-year old holding a jump rope and baring her teeth, and a tall muscular boy I recognize from school.

He looks at me, grins, and says, "Hey, I'm Pierce."

"I'm Ashton."

He puts out his hand and gives me a firm handshake.

"And--" He turns to the little girl, who is now snapping her jump rope like a whip into the air. "You are?"

She just glares at him and continues snapping her jump rope.

Pierce shrugs and says, "So, Ashton, where are we searching?"

"Erm--how about the basement storage room?"

"Ooh, scary! All right, let's go."

Pierce, the creepy girl and I walk down about twenty flights of stairs to the basement storage room. As we get closer to the door, I realize the guards are slumped on the floor.

"Looks suspicious," I say. "I'm calling Brad." I tap my panel, but it doesn't turn on.

"Strange. It's never done this before. Try yours, Pierce."

His holds the same blankness as mine.

"Come on," he says, walking closer to the entrance.

I stay back. Brad had taken the gun because he knows how to use it, so I am stuck with nothing.

Suddenly, I hear a snap, and before I know it, I'm being strangled by a jump rope. I should have known there was something up with that girl. I feel her teeth biting my ankle and I scream as I look down and see the fangs in her mouth drawing huge gushes of blood from the bite.

I hear a loud thump, and suddenly the pressure on my neck stops. Then I black out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So how do you like it so far? The yummy stuff starts next chapter and lasts for the rest of the book. I just needed a background few chapters. Remember to comment if you notice any mistakes, and thanks for reading!