Moving Upward (Chapter 10 )

"Hey Shannon, I was hoping that I'd get you and not your voice mail. Does anyone check those things anymore, anyways, I was calling to tell you about something I discovered on my trip. Now I know you're thinking 'this boy didn't even tell me he was going on any trip', but that's neither here nor there. So I saw Kai...and she had my son,"

I know that's not something you leave on your mothers voicemail, but I didn't know what I'd actually say if she had answered the phone. After getting home and actually cleaning up the mess Renee had left, I did exactly what Naima said and called my mother. Tucker deserved to have a real family and a real family is something that I'd try to provide for him despite my lack for having one. Maybe Naima would be right and he was the blessing my mother so desperately searched for. As multiple thoughts raced through my head, I took stock of my modest home and realized it was not child friendly. If I was going to have him at least visiting, then some reorganizing and decorating would be in store. First, I needed his input and to have a conversation with Mrs. Kai LaRue.

"Hello," her sultry voice came over the phone before I knew it had even rung.

"Kai LaRue, Jason Covington,"

"Why hello Mr. Covington," she cooed into the phone. Had I not known any better I'd think we were kids falling in love again, and not divorced parents of a toddler.

"Hi Mrs. LaRue, I was giving you a call to discuss Tucker. I want to sign his birth certificate and award you some monetary compensation for any expenses you have for him. Something to start doing my part in his life,"

"Well isn't that generous, when did you reach that decision?"

"After talking to Naima, but I felt that way even before I left and came home. I know you and LiAnna make more than enough, but even if it's just saving for his college expenses, I want to do my all for him,"

"Well aren't you trying to win father of the year. Well I can of course take a visit into the city so we can get all that taken care of, anything else?"

"Yeah, I was thinking about having Tucker visit for maybe about a week,"

"Now Jason although I admire what you're trying to do, it's too soon for you to keep him for such a long period of time. How about a few more dates and get him warmed up to the idea, besides we still have to get LiAnna's voice in on the situation. He's his mother too,"

"No she isn't, her blood isn't flowing through his veins. Tucker is OUR son,"

"Jason watch your tone, I know you both don't see eye to eye, but it isn't about either of you. It's about Tucker, and you have to realize his fragile mind is still processing all this new information. I promise you that in do time everything will work out for both of us, you just have to trust me,"

"Kai I have a hard time trusting you, had it not been for a brief coincendence I wouldn't even have known I had a child, a child I had desperately wanted for so long,"

"Boy let that hurt go!"

"You're still such a child,"

"No I'm an adult, who makes decision for what's best for all involved. I need to you to accept the fact that this thing will play out how it will, and for you to chill the hell out. Now look, I was actually in the middle of packing for another shoot. Call me in a couple of days and we can plan out all the particulars for getting you established with paternity and child support,"

"Kai why can't we do it now?"

"Jason please! Remember JC I love you deep down and I want this to work for you," and with that she ended the phone call.

The whole 'I love you' completely unexpected and made me wonder even more if something was truly going on, but I wasn't one to push. I had no choice but to trust Kai because if I did what I truly wanted, she would keep Tucker further away from me. Sometimes it's so hard trying to being a man, because so many women, and society think it's easy for you to just walk away. Yet, when you look into the eyes of child that's yours, that is the epitome of you, you can't walk away because you begin to experience the greatest love you've ever known. Nothing can compare to the love a parent has for their child, their greatest and most complete creation. It has to be something like the love God has for us, and all I wanted was for Tucker to know that love from me. Determined to not drive myself crazier with the business I did what I do best, write, think and drink.