Before I Wake

BEFORE I WAKE

PREFACE

A CHILD'S PRAYER

“Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord, my soul to keep. May angels watch me through the night and keep me in their blessed sight.”

In another life, in another time, that simple child's prayer recited every night by millions of children across the world, felt innocent...comforting. But now, with my youth long behind me, it felt tainted. It's a ghost from the past that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

  Ten years have passed since Addison Thomas was taken away from me. They say time heals all wounds, but this wound still feels as fresh as the day it was made.

  And now, as I kneel at her grave in Magnolia Cemetery, I remember. I remember the memories we made as children, and then the love we had for one another as we grew older. But I also remember the bad. I remember all the signs I missed or ignored, and hate myself for it. I could of saved her if I had known. If only I had known...

________________________________________________________

Some of you may recognize this story! It is an old story of mine that I am rewriting! I hope you all like it and I hope this will turn out to be a thousand times better than the original!