New in Town

-Tessa-

Tessa lifted her guitar case into the trunk of her car. Staring blankly at the people in the park, not knowing where she would stay tonight. Playing for tips in the park, she had made enough money to get some food and a little gas, but not enough to get a room in the dump of a motel she had stayed at a couple of nights since she got here.

It had been a couple of weeks since she pulled into Genoa City, hoping to find a new life. Her guitar, providing the little cash flow she had. Tessa had put up some flyers around town offering in home guitar lessons, and while she had a couple of inquiries, she hadn't set up any appointments yet.

She was thinking about moving on, but something held her here. Something made her stay. She didn't know if it was fear of hitting the road again, or just exhaustion. Exhaustion had her vote, since she had spent several nights in her car, and it is impossible to get a good night's sleep there. She could really use a good night's sleep.

Counting out the money she pulled from her guitar case, she determined she had a little extra for a coffee. And since coffee was close to godliness, Tessa searched her phone for the nearest coffee shop. She ignored any chain shops in the area, knowing the best cups of coffee come from mom and pop shops. Crimson Lights, the closest, seemed like the best place to go.

Address in hand, she slid into the front seat of her gently loved car. She needed a shower, but that would have to wait. She drove the few blocks over and parked along the side of the building.

Tessa grabbed her guitar before heading in, she almost never went any where without it. It was like an extension of herself, another limb. She made her way to the door, holding it for a beautiful red head who seemed to be in a hurry. Her hair lit up like flames, surrounding an alabaster face that was stunning, but a little fraught.

Tessa counted out the change from her pocket and placed an order for a house blend with half and half. She could use the fat in her coffee since she had been getting very few meals and her frame was starting to show the signs of it.

"Do you play?" the attractive older blonde behind the counter asked.

Tessa, startled by the question and the sound, looked confused. She really hadn't had much conversation since she had arrived in town. It had been very lonely.

"Oh, yes." Tessa said shyly. "Would you mind if I set up on your patio and played for tips?"

"I guess that would be okay. I haven't thought about having a musician play here." The blonde cocked her head to the side, a look of concern on her face. "I'm Sharon Newman. Are you new to town?"

"Tessa..." Tessa extended her hand, "Tessa Porter. I've been here a couple of weeks. Just getting the lay of the land."

"Well Tessa, here is your coffee," Sharon said as she handed her the cup, "and let's give this a trial run. You can borrow my patio for an hour."

"Thank you." Tessa nodded and made her way out to the patio. The space was a decent size, and she set up her guitar case and an extra chair in a corner, so people could still move freely about the space. It was nice to sit since she has stood all day while playing in the park.

She strummed a few cords, letting her fingers find a groove, then she settled into a rhythm for an original song.

"When I'm in the shadows,

Stuck in my mind.

You break the darkness,

And cast it aside."