Chapter TWELVE {Ay}

Chapter Twelve

Ay

That boy.

That stupid, insolent, impertinent boy.

I tried to reason with him. I tried to offer him a way out.

I tried to force him to see things from a different perspective; from the perspective of everyone else in 'his' court.

I tried to be respectful. 

And that boy threw it back in my face. There was nothing more I could do. I tried to warn him. But my time had come.

Once, when I was just a child, during the early years of the reign of the great king Amenhotep, I had the greatest honour of meeting a Messenger of the Gods.

The Messenger was more than a High Priest. They had the gift of seeing; they were chosen by the gods. Their status rivalled that of even the king himself.

The Messenger of the Gods balked when he saw me. He told me that one day, I would become a king. He told me that if I acted correctly throughout my life, I would become the most powerful man on earth. 

And so I did just that. I acted with patience and respect to those who thought they were more important of me. I have served under four kings in my lifetime, and the entire time, I had to wait for opportunity.

Of course, the opportunity began to arise when Tutankhamun's father, the blasted man Akhenaten, completely undermined the will of the gods. He disregarded them as if it were the gods who served him. And during the entire time, I ensured he believed my loyalties lay with him.

Ten years after his death, I saw my opportunity. Tutankhamun was seven when his father died. Nine when he became king. Too young to even know right from wrong. If I seeded my opinion correctly, I could become his main point of influence.

But Tutankhamun is a weak ruler. Years of reliance on others has turned him into a spoilt brat. He has forgotten that a king is supposed to be feared. How can anyone fear him? With his limp leg, he is about as scary as the peasant farmers struck by poverty.

I gave him an opportunity to change his ways. If he shared his power - made me his co-ruler, perhaps - then I would spare him. He would live the rest of his life contently, and his future heirs would become future kings of Egypt.

But he disrespected me. He completely disregarded my idea.

And in doing so, he contributed to his own demise.

~~~~

Hey everyone! So I took a bit of a different take with this chapter. A little short (a lot short lol) but hopefully you guys don't mind! I thought that a chapter in Ay's perspective would set up the rest of the plot nicely. I did want to keep it a bit 'clouded in mystery,' but at the end of Chapter Eleven I thought this would fit in well. Not only that, but it's another chapter! And who doesn't want another chapter, right?

I'm planning to be writing a whole lot more in the future. I'm on holidays for the next couple of weeks, so I won't have any assignments to distract me.

If you guys have any questions or qualms about Forgotten Heir, please let me know! You can either drop a comment or DM me privately. 

If you're enjoying the story so far, make sure to vote! Your support means the world to aspiring writers, and I am very appreciative of the support I have so far received.

I'm sorry for the slowness of the chapters so far - nothing exciting is really happening, I know, but that's about to change. I think either chapter 13 or 14 - so look out for those ones!

Bye guys!