part two || one year later

"Soldier," Dr. Volkov, Hydra's main scientist, approached a young teenage girl of 19 years old. The most noticeable thing about her wasn't her hair or her body like most teenagers, but the fact that she was missing an arm, and a metal one had replaced it. "You have a new mission."

"Target?" She replied coldly, showing no emotion, just how she had been taught.

"James Barnes."

———

Bucky Barnes sat in the living room of the Avengers tower in New York, playing what Tony Stark had called 'Mario Kart' against his childhood best friend, Steve Rogers. After losing drastically for the 5th time in a row, Bucky decided he was hungry.

"Hey, I'm going to head into the kitchen," He addressed Steve, "Want anything?"

After Steve shook his head no, Bucky walked into the kitchen. Reaching into a cupboard, he pulled out a bag of chips. Before he could open them, a knife flew past his hand, picking up the chips and nailing them to the wall. He turned, and saw a metal fist flying towards his face. Bucky ducked, but before he could counter attack, another fist punched deep into his gut. Years of Hydra training kicked in, and Bucky started working on autopilot, blocking, parrying and attacking what looked like a teenage girl.

Steve, hearing the commotion, grabbed his infamous shield and ran into the kitchen, slinging it at the girl who was attacking Bucky. But it never hit her. She did something that he had only seen one person do ever before; she caught his shield. Déjà vu washed over Steve, but he quickly snapped out of the daze when the assassin swung the shield at Bucky's head. Ducking with a fraction of a second left, the shield lodged itself into the wall behind Bucky's head.

The disturbance stopped when the girl pulled out two guns, aiming one at Steve and the other at Bucky. Their hands shot up in surrender.

"Woah, woah, woah, calm down. Surly we can just talk this out, yeah? Put down the guns." Steve tried to persuade the attacker, ever the sweet talker, but to no avail. Her finger closed on the trigger of the gun pointed at Bucky just when a certain red and gold someone bursted through a wall, tackling the girl, causing the bullet to go off aim.

Ironman flew out the window, holding onto the intruder. His plan was to make her surrender, then he could put her in a cell and work out why she was trying to go up against the worlds most deadly assassin, but the plan backfired when she punched him in the face. The punch held ten times the force of a normal punch, causing Tony to let go of the girl. She fell 20 floors, but somehow managed to get up and walk away. Before Tony could fly down to get her, she had disappeared.

Looking back at the tower, he saw all of the Avengers clustered around the broken window, gawking at what had just taken place. Tony flipped open his mask.

"Who the fuck was that?"