Infinite Typewriters

"It is a rather unusual request," Professor Darling said as she examined the grant application form on her desk. "We normally carry out research into philosophy in this department. What you have here -," she pointed at the form, "- appears to be more suited to the computer science department." She looked up. "So, Mr Swift, tell me why we should fund your project?"

"Because it is literary research," the student said. "Didn't you read the application?"

The professor smiled. "I did. But there are some aspects of it that I find difficult to appreciate. Please, can you explain your argument in terms that a simple academic can understand?"

Swift took a deep breath. "It's very simple. You are aware of the theory that states there is a limit to the thoughts that can be expressed in any language?"

"The Saphir-Whorf hypothesis? Of course."

"And the main limit is as a result of the limits of our vocabulary."

"Yes."

"Well," Swift continued, "I propose to construct a device that will take words and combine them in accordance with the prinicples of natural language. With these new combinations, we can explore new thoughts and new concepts. In order to do this, my device will require a database of words and their symbolic values - a vocabulary, if you will. These words will form the basis of the volume of conceptual space that will be explored."

"This would be the logosphere that you refer to?" Professor Darling asked.

"Of course. And our logoprobe will explore this space, sending back data to us for analysis. Of course, we will need some kind of automated filters to eliminate results that are obviously erroneous."

"But the bulk of the analysis will be done by linguists, literarists, philosophers? Yes?"

Swift smiled. "Exactly."

Professor Darling thought for a moment. "And, if I follow your argument, this will allow us to define new logics, new relationships between words and thoughts?"

"You follow my argument perfectly, professor."

"I do. Except for one thing."

Swift looked puzzled. "What is it? Surely everything is clear? If not, I can go into greater detail."

Professor Darling shook her head. "Then do tell me why you need so much money for bananas?"