xXPrologueXx

Grace brushes her long, dark hair from her eyes. "Mother, why can't I get a haircut?" The girl shifts uncomfortably on the chair neatly tucked beside an old wooden table. Grace begins to curiously watch her mother prepare the stew beside her. A window that has not radiated with light in days is placed right above the kitchen counter.. "Long hair is such a hassle."

The child's mom furrows her eyebrows with aggravation. After the pause, the mother sighs. "We have to blend in. The last thing we want is to draw attention to ourselves.. After all, you aren't supposed to be seen," she tells Grace soothingly while stirring the (mushroom?) stew.

"Why do I have to suffer just because you decided to have me?" the girl snaps, irritated. Grace has never been the "type B" personality type of person.

The mother hardly stares at the young girl, temporarily forgetting about the stew she was tampering with. Her eyes shine with hurt, yet disgust for her daughter speaking to her in such a tone of voice. It was very uncommon for children to act up like that in Dyrin, for it was strongly looked down upon.

Grace gives in and shrinks into her chair. "I'm sorry," she sheepishly squeaks.

The mother sighs. "It's fine. As long as you stay hidden, everything will be okay."