Chapter 4: A Warm Welcoming?

xXGraceXx

Zensuke and I approach the large village of dwarves with caution. My feet crunch the leaves coating the forest floor, and I lightly brush stray tree vines from the path.

"Zensuke," I remind as I notice the condition of the village. "The dwarves here are evidently very poor, so watch your stuff."

Zensuke chuckles a little. "I've noticed." The blue-eyed man winces as he bends his body into the former black cat. I roll my eyes at this; Now I have to carry him around again and take all the risks. The cat hops on my head once more, settling into my dark hair. "Lead the way."

I sigh, cautiously stepping into the village pathway. It will be a mistake coming through this way, but it seems to be the only option. I peer around to the worn down houses around me. Its quiet. A little too quiet. "Do you think it's deserted?" I softly whisper to Zensuke on my head.

He shakes his head above me. "Don't drop your guard."

I nod in understanding. Although the town appears to be deserted, I have to watch out.

"Who are you?"

The question rings out into silence. I snap my head around, searching for the voice asking. "Who's there?" More silence.

"Move!" Zensuke orders with urgency. Too late. I then screech in surprise when I'm flipped upside down, foot hanging from a long metal chain attached to one of the buildings. Zensuke falls from my head as it turns, landing nimbly with his four paws on the pavement. I scowl, attempting to release the thick chains that cut into my one ankle.

Several miniature humans began to gather around now, looking up at me with excitement. "Nice one!" one of the dwarves remarks to my capturer. He is settled up on one of the buildings, holding up the long chain with me at the bottom.

"Let me go!" I hiss to the dwarf up above with aggravation.

"Maybe we'll consider it," he laughs. He peers at the three other dwarves down below, giving them an acknowledging nod. "Take her stuff."

"Hey!" I snap as they reach for the satchel hanging from my back.

"Don't touch her."

Everyone's gaze averts to Zensuke, now in his human form. His icy blue eyes glare into the dwarves'. "If you do, you'll regret it."

One of the larger men furrows his eyebrows at him. He hobbles towards him, tightening his fist. "I'd refrain from being too cocky. We have your friend in captivity."

Zensuke narrows his eyes. "Says you."

The dwarf scowls at the man, shootings a threatening glare with his dark, menacing eyes. Intimidating for such a small human. "We'll see who the cocky one is in The Circle."

Silence. Zensuke's expression changed to one of interest. The Circle?

The dwarves all mutter amongst themselves, eyeing the conflict with anticipation. "That man just messed with the wrong guy," Zensuke hears one say.

"Explain."

The dwarf chuckles a little with confidence. "Be prepared in the next hour. The Circle is our village's arena.. meant to deal with any cocky bypassers like you." He nods towards me, "And if you somehow manage to beat me, you can have your friend back."

I sigh- most likely my life is now in the hands of a shapeshifter. I've always hated these sorts of situations. It makes me feel weak and helpless.

Zensuke smiles a little, seating himself next to me as I hang upside down. "Thirty minutes should be fine," he says as he begins to stretch.

The dwarf narrows his eyes, but grunts in understanding. He begins to hobble away, the other two dwarves following close behind. "Put up a fight, because you're lucky I don't kill both of you right now. This is a waste of my time."

Zensuke leans back into the dirt pathway, closing his eyes in anticipation. I stare down at him coldy, frowning. "Aren't you going to get me down from here?"

The man laughs at the question. "There's at least several of those guys watching us right now. After all, It'd be senseless to leave us alone like that." He looks up at me, "I've expected you to see that by now."

My eyes widen in realization and the sense of stupidity. "Um.. I did! I was just testing you," I retort.

"Right."

"By the way," I remember as my head begins to ache from being upside down for so long. "Why do you need so much time to prepare?"

I see Zensuke smile with amusement and closed eyelids. "To take a nap."

"Huh?!"

"See you in half an hour," he mumbles as he drifts off to sleep.