Chapter 6: Sebastian Michaelis, Demon Butler

Laurel woke up in the early morning, stretching her arms. It was odd though, she didn't recall falling asleep in a car.That's when last night's events recalled, which made her launch out of her seat. She looked at her clothes, which had changed. It was now a black and white dress, tight around the hips area, then flowed white with black lace down below her knees, stockings underneath. 

She sat up and saw who was driving the vehicle, her brother Sebastian. She leaned forwards, poking him in the back of the neck. When Sebastian turned his neck, Laurel ducked with a tiny squeak escaping her mouth. 

"Good morning Laurel." He spoke, speeding the car up a bit. "In the basket to your left there should be some muffins for breakfast. And milk, fresh from the cow." 

"Uh, thank you." Laurel grabbed the basket, and dug in. This was the first time, in a long time she had a breakfast this good. Now that she was fully awake, she was able to to take in her surroundings. It was mostly black, from the ceiling, to the carpet on the floor. Except the seats were navy blue, stitched together with what looked like gold string. "Who owns this thing?" 

"It's my master's." Sebastian explained. "He is quite well off, and expects me to be back soon." 

Laurel nodded. "Master, huh? That explains the butler get up. Am I going to meet him? Is that where you're taking me?" 

Sebastian sighed, and Laurel could tell that this wasn't going to be good news. "I'm afraid not. You see, you're only sixty years old. And the business my master and I work in is, risky. Life endangering as a matter of fact. So I'm going to leave you at a friend's place, and stop by whenever I can."

"Wait, you're ditching me?" Laurel realized. "I thought... you were my brother."

"I am your brother, and that has not changed. But it's because of that, that I'm leaving you some place safe. At least, as safe as I can make it." Sebastian answered, which didn't ease either of their minds. 

Laurel threw the basket away then faced Sebastian again. "Fine, whatever. But it's Q and A time. I ask, you answer, got it. Good. First, quite an obvious one, we're demons aren't we?" 

"Yes, high class as a matter of fact." Sebastian explained. "Our family business has grown monumentally. We obey as our masters command for rewards." 

"Which are?" 

"Souls." Sebastian answered. "We take care of vendetta's for people, and in return we can feast on their souls for eternity. The more damaged ones, and the stronger ones, they're the most valuable ones." 

"Oh... kay." Laurel replied nervously, but also curious. "You're master's soul, is it like that?" 

"It was. Before I could actually devour it, he was turned into a demon. So I'm bound to him for eternity."

"That sucks. Okay,  that answers that. But, are our parents still alive?" 

Sebastian groaned, hoping he didn't have to discuss the topic of their parents. "Yes, but I haven't talked to them in a very long time. They're with their current masters right now. At least I assume."

"And they can't take care of me because?" Laurel continued. 

"They have a lot of enemies." Sebastian lied. "They can't confirm your safety until you're one hundred years old. It's only forty more years."

Laurel groaned. "Only forty more years. That would mean almost two lifetimes without seeing my parents. Can you at least tell me their names?" 

"Valerie and Calvin Dales." Sebastian answered. "And Laurel, to us, forty years seems like a few months. Everything will be different now."