cнapтer Ⅱ

Viridity
(n.) naïve innocence

____

Mike and his friends were in his basement playing D&D for the third time that week. The only lighting in the space was a yellow orange ceiling light above the table.

After hours of laughing, yelling, eating, and screaming it was finally time for the five boys to part ways. Mike waved a good bye as he walked back into his house lightly stepping up the stairs toward his room. It was quite late. Midnight, to be exact. They didn't normally play as late as they had that evening, but his mother didn't normally let him play on school nights either.

The door made a screeching sound which made Mike cringe. The screech wasn't actually very loud, but when it's midnight and your supposed to be asleep any sound can sound loud in your mind.

Mike shut the door and tucked himself into bed. He turned off his bed side lamp and shut his eyes, preparing for slumber.

Click

The light turned on.

Mike hissed at the sudden light, reaching out his hand to pull the switch.

Click

...

Click

Again, the light went on.

Mike sat up in his bed, rubbing his eyes. He looked around, letting his eyes adjust to the bright light coming from his lamp. There was no one in his room as far as he could see. Mike sighed grumpily as he laid back down under the covers and turned off the light once more.

Click

...

Click

...

Click

...

Click

Mike nearly screamed in frustration. All he wanted was to get a good nights sleep, but the universe just wasn't having it.

"Hello? Who is it? What do you want?" Mike whisper-yelled

Click

...

Click

"Are you a ghost?"

Click

...

The young boy sat on his bed waiting for a reply.

"Um... two clicks for no, one click for yes... ok?"

Mike kind of felt embarrassed, talking to nothing. Maybe he was just dreaming?

Click

Mike just about shit himself.

"Okay... are you... are you a ghost?"

Click

"What???"

A ghost...? In his room? What the actual hell is going on?

____
349 words