Chapter 9. The Incident Part 1

Dr. Chang comes down to security saying we need to evacuate  the island and he sees us tied up and says, "What the hell is going on here?"

Stuart says, "Aren't you supposed to be at the Swan right now Chang we are supposed to break ground in less than 20 hours."

Chang says, "We're under imminent threat! If we start drilling, there's a high probability of a cataclysmic accident..."

"We are drilling and on schedule."

"Horace, you're in charge..."

"He's not in charge anymore. This is my decision, and it's been made. We keep working."

Sawyer mumbles, "Put us on the sub. He's right. It ain't safe. Put the woman and children on the sub and get 'em out of here. And if you put me, Hayley, and Juliet on the sub with 'em...we'll tell you anything you want to know."

"You want on the sub, Jim?" Stuart says and he gives Sawyer and notebook and pencil, "Draw me a map, I wanna know exactly where the Hostiles are."

So Sawyer draws them a map.

*

They walk us to the sub but we are still handcuffed.

First I get in the sub followed by Juliet then Sawyer.

They cuff us to the table. I sit across from Sawyer and Juliet is at the table next to us. 

The last person I expected climbed into the sub.

Kate.

They cuff her to the same table as Juliet.

The sub starts to dive and it looks like we might actually get off this damn island.

I look down at my necklace and think back to the time I got it. It was about two weeks before I left for Los Angeles. 

I was sitting on a swing at a tiny park not that far away from our house. My parents had just beaten me for messing up another job and I had a black eye and a cut on my lip. This guy with blue eyes and dirty blonde hair sits on the swing next to me.

He says to me, "Now whats a kid doing here by themselves alone in the middle of the night?"

I mumble, "I'm not just a kid"

"Sorry... so what's got you so down?"

I look over at him and say, "It's nothing" 

"Well maybe this will cheer you up"

He pulls out a black box and opens it. Inside its a beautiful necklace with a silver chain, a purple charm in the middle with a moon around the charm.

*Like the one below*

"Wow"

"Here, keep it" He hands it to me.

"No, I can't "

"Please keep it" He puts his hand on my shoulder and says, "Have a nice night."

I smile.

He gets up and walks away.

"Wait, who are you?'"

But he doesn't hear me or chooses not to answer.

I snap back into reality when I hear Kate say, "We have to get out of here."

"Out of here?" Sawyer says "We're underwater. What the hell are you doing here? How'd you get caught?"

"I came back to get you."

"Came back to get me for what?"

Juliet asks, "Where's Jack?"

"Jack is on his way to blow up a hydrogen bomb"

"Why would he do that?" I ask

"Does it matter? We have to stop him."

Sawyer says, "Sorry, I'm gonna pass."

"Did you hear what I just said?"

"Yeah, I heard you. You just don't get it, Kate. We were happy in Dharmaville till y'all showed up. But now that's all over. So we're gonna drink our OJ, take out chances in the real world. If Jack wants to blow up the island...good for Jack."

*

Kate explains why Jack wants to set off the bomb. I say, "Okay so let me get this straight, Jack sets off the nuke, which will somehow reset everything so flight 815 never crashes. It just lands in LA, and none of this ever happens."

"If Jack does this, he could kill everyone on the island," Kate says.

Sawyer says, "Yeah, I heard that part."

"And you're okay with that?"

"You ain't hearing me, Kate. I made a choice and I'm sticking to it. I decided to leave, and I'm leaving."

The guy with the sedatives comes over, we aren't supposed to be awake during the trip. 

He puts the tray on the table where Juliet and Kate are sitting. Juliet grabs him by the back of his head, hits his head on the table, then she knees him in the gut he falls on the floor and is out cold.

"What the hell did you just do?" Sawyer says 

"We decided to leave this island, James. We did." Juliet takes the keys off the guy's belt, "And now we're going back."

"Are you serious?"

"We can't just let those people die. You want out? Or you wanna stay here and whine about it?"

"Unlock the damn cuffs."

Juliet unlocks mine and Sawyers cuffs.

We get the captain to surface the sub by pointing a gun at him.

We take a raft back to the island when Vincent the dog comes running out of the jungle.

I hear a voice from behind us, "Oh hell no."

I turn around and its Rose and Bernard.