Chapter 3: Jessica

Allen:

I nearly jumped at the surprise- my son did jump, quickly tightening his grip on my leg.

The object was a girl. She had dark hair and a grin that looked ready to split her face in two. "Hi," I said with a confused, slow-wave.

"How are you- I'm doing good, just great- good good good!" She clapped and then her head turned so fast I swore it would snap her neck with the inertia, water spraying out from her long hair. She stared into Kyle's eyes.

Kyle's eyes widened a bit, looking back at her. "She gets a little excited around strangers," he commented.

"A lit-" I began, but I was cut off again.

"Oh my gosh, he's so cute!" The girl cooed. She was now looking at my son, though I might add, I'm not sure when she turned around. "What's his name- he has a name right- everyone has a name here right?"

"Most of us," said Frank, rolling his eyes.

The girl spun around to look at the man, still crouched where he had threatened Kyle. "You're the one who threatened my Kyle about twenty seconds ago aren't you?"

"Um-" Frank began.

Her grin changed instantly to a scowl. "I could kill you with a thought... it would be fun... aaaanyway-" Her grin reappeared and she turned back to me. "So-name?"

"Um yes. My name is Allen."

"No no. Not that there's anything wrong with you- what's the name of your kid?"

"Oh of course," I said, shaking my head. "Jaden."

"Oh how cute, little Jady," she said, looking back at my son.

"Kid that's not a nickname-" I began but Kyle cut me off.

"Don't bother, she won't get it. She nicknames everyone." he interrupted.

"Hi," she said, kneeling down a little.

She was bigger than Jaden or Kyle, looking more around seven. I took the few seconds she spent trying to un-scare Jaden to get a good look at her. This girl was quite a spectacle in every way. I even noticed as she was leaning down, she was actually just standing on one foot. Where was she getting all this energy? Besides that, she had really weird taste in clothes. She wore a pair of dark red boy's jeans with black shoes and a bright green t-shirt. Her hair was black, long, and just straight, nothing off there I supposed. Then there was her face. She had freckles, but somehow only on the right side.

"It's okay, I'm not gonna hurt you," she said gently. Jaden clung to my leg, she was moving too fast for his liking. "Oh c'mon, give me a chance... oh I know!" she finally shouted. She was also too loud, Jaden clinging harder. She reached into her pocket, still standing on one foot, and pulled out a few pieces of hard candy. She unwrapped one and popped it in her mouth. "They're really good. Want one?" She offered one to my son.

If one were to wonder about it, I suppose it's not too much of a surprise that Pharaohs have candy too, but of course, it wasn't any kind I recognized. Jaden's grip on my leg started to loosen. He looked up at me. "Go ahead Jaden, she's just a quick little bugger, but I doubt she can hurt you."

"Oh I could never hurt you," she assured him.

My brown-haired little kid finally left his father's leg. He took the piece of candy, which I guess was his mistake. The girl moved faster than anyone could see and grabbed him in a bear hug, and then started tickling his sides. Jaden was pretty obviously startled, but there wasn't much he could do now besides crumble into a pile of giggles. Kyle grinned at the two. "Like I said, ironic that I don't know anything about kids," he commented.