Knees (Pt. 4)

Taron and you sat awkwardly in front of one another. You decided that the best thing to do was to let your families know that you're pregnant. You weren't exactly happy about that. It felt like your life was changing in the worst way possible: you're pregnant, unmarried, and single. It just seemed comical.

You imagined a happy life for yourself. A happy life with Taron. A life where he didn't fall in love with some other woman and try to stay with you out of obligation and then you leave him because he's a coward. The thought tore you a part. You felt sick as you stared at him.

You set it up like a dinner. A dinner that gave the families false hope. They thought that they'd receive good news. The only person who wasn't happy for the dinner was your father. He'd kill Taron before he let you get back together with him.

"We have some new for you guys," Taron says meekly.

All eyes were suddenly on you. You thought you were going to be sick. Tears welled up in your eyes. Taron knew better than to comfort you. He looked away. He never could stand to see you cry.

"I'm pregnant."

It came out like a question. Your mom was quick to grab the knife in front of your father and put it out of his reach when she saw him clench his fists. Taron tried to avoid your father's eyes at all cost but if looks could kill, Taron would be dead a million times over. Your parents said nothing. All of them completely livid with one person. It's safe to say that Taron was deeply uncomfortable. Your father's eyes bore into Taron's. Taron's father didn't know what to say to comfort you or your parents. Taron's mother didn't know what to say to comfort you.

You quickly wiped the tears from your cheek as you looked at Taron briefly and then looked away.

"We should tell our parents, right?" Taron asked.

You sighed. "I was just gonna wait until I had the baby."

"What about when you were walking about with an 8 pound stomach?"

You shrugged. Taron sighed this time. You both had been in the cafe for a while. There were less people now. You had calmed down a bit. Taron was careful not to upset you. No matter what, he was the bad guy. He had earned that title.

You toy with the bracelet on your wrist as you stare into your lap.

"So what are you going to do?" David, Taron's father, asked.

You scoffed and Taron grimaced. His father lack tact and you were in a particularly foul mood today. You turned a cold gaze towards David, who seemed to wince at the stare. He never received such a look from you. He couldn't fault you though. His son broke your heart in the worst way. He didn't take it personally. He tried not to anyway. He knew you. You were the one girlfriend of Taron's he genuinely liked for his son.

His mother, Christine, shook her head as she glared at her ex-husband. "He means... What do you want to do?"

You felt bad. It wasn't their fault. You were just so mad that they'd given birth to the stupidest human on the planet. Taron was the really target and they were getting caught in the crossfire fire. You took a deep breath as you tried to calm down.

"I'm keeping the baby if that's what you mean. And I have no intention of ruining Taron's career if that's what you're worried about."

You felt your mother's hand on your back. "Honey, I'm sure that's not what they meant."

"Oh, dear, of course that isn't what we meant. We know what kind of person you are," his mother assured you. "I'm sure this is a lot you. Never mind Taron, how are you feeling?"