Chapter Eight

"So where are we going?" asked Feyla. "It must be someplace special for you to take the day off."

"Half a day," he corrected. "And here I thought you liked surprises," Sedgewick teased. His hand slipped into his coat pocket, checking again for the familiar feel of metal.

Feyla rolled her eyes but didn't bother hiding her smile. "Is it a good surprise?"

"Hopefully," Sedgewick answered before steering her away from the market. He guided them through the city until they came to a section of houses within a short walk of the palace. Most of them were owned by wealthy merchants, guild leaders, or lower-level government official. They were all two stories with a raised foundation to help combat the city's notorious spring flooding. Intricate moldings and pillars covered the outside while stone fences paired with high iron gates surrounded the yards as if each one was its own little fortress.

Feyla tilted her head in confusion, obviously wondering where they were supposed to eat. "Is there a park or a courtyard nearby? I thought you found a new picnic spot."

"Something like that. Just...close your eyes."

Feyla's lovely aqua eyes slipped closed. "Do I get a hint?"

"That would hardly be fair," Sedgewick teased. He guided them past the most ostentatious of the houses until they reached the back gate of the one he was looking for. It was made of a dusty rose-colored stone with dark wood surrounding the windows. Vines crawled up over the gates, and the branches of the tree inside the courtyard hung over the edge, hinting at the absence of a regular caretaker. Unlike some of the other houses, it traded elaborate trimmings for a plainer, more sturdy appearance.

Sedgewick dipped into his coat pocket and pulled out a thick iron key for the gate. His hands shook as he inserted it into the lock. Feyla's ears quirked at the sound of the gate opening. He could do this. He could do this.

Sedgewick took her hands and led her inside the courtyard surrounding the house, closing the gate behind them. He had fought wizards, sorceresses, and politicians. He was Sedgewick Alverdyne; one of the greatest mages of this age. Surely he could handle talking to the woman he loved about his...feelings.

Sedgewick waved his hand and a blanket floated out of the basket Feyla was holding and spread out on the ground. He guided Feyla onto it, careful to not bump into her still-healing arm, and had them both sit down. "Now you can open them."

Feyla realized three things first

Feyla realized three things first. One, a tree was blocking the summer sunlight. Two, it felt as if she'd stepped into a private kingdom. Her eyes widened as she took in the house and the stone walls wrapped around the building. Unkempt flowers and vines curled along the walls, forming a wild sort of blanket that wrapped around the two of them, a cocoon against the world. The third thing was despite their beautiful surroundings, Sedgewick looked like he was about to pass out.