Chapter 6 - Cyrus

12.01.2723

A sharp click echoed through the darkness, much like a rock being dropped in an empty room.

"Wake up!" a voice shouted.

What was that?

"Come on, damn you! Wake up! Please!"

The darkness parted softly, slowly receding as a soft spot of light began filling the void. A faint wheezing sound accompanied the light, seemingly echoing all around. Where was it coming from?

Suddenly, a loud angry beeping ripped through the remaining darkness, turning the soft light into glaring suns. The faint wheezing sound from just a moment ago was suddenly clearer now too; the hiss of escaping gas being sucked through vents. It was cold, very cold.

Cyrus sat up quickly, but was forced back down when his head smacked against a transparent viewport. He shook his head, ignoring the ringing, and pushed against the low ceiling with both hands. This wasn't his bed. Where was he?

The lid creaked and suddenly flew off, spinning through the air to crash somewhere out of sight. This time, Cyrus sat up slower, his eyes falling to his hands in amazement. He was strong! Or was the ceiling weak? He wasn't sure.

Remembering the voice, he glanced around him in confusion, looking for whoever had been addressing him earlier. Instead of a person, however, six tall lizards stared back, mouths open. Each one was dressed in white attire, fitted with full length sleeves and gloves. One of them carried a strange thin object, almost resembling a cylinder with a plunger attached. A syringe of some sort? Their clean white clothes reminded Cyrus of a laboratory, or a hospital. He couldn't quite remember which.

"You're awake!" the voice gasped. "That's great! Now hurry up over here before-"

Something slammed into Cyrus from behind as he was sitting up, knocking him off the bed. He hit the ground hard, his breath wheezing out as something heavy rolled over his body. As he tried to get back up, something pressed into his back, pushing him roughly to the ground. Cyrus struggled feebly to bring his hands around, but whoever was holding his arms was strong. His assailant growled, pressing harder into Cyrus's back as something cold snapped around his wrists.

The memories came back in a rush. Screams and explosions echoed in his ears as classmates and teachers fled the hallways. Flashes of blinding light and falling bodies flooded his vision. Lifeless bodies were strewn everywhere around his school. Then, he felt a cold object on the back of his head and something clicked.

"No!" Cyrus screamed, ripping his arms free of his attacker.

He slammed his hand into the ground, heaving. His struggle was rewarded with a startled grunt as whoever was pinning him down stumbled backwards. Glancing down at his hands, he was surprised to see a broken set of cuffs dangling from his wrists.

"Ar vokka!" his assailant shouted. A familiar sound whirred: the sound of an energy cannon coming to life.

Cyrus moved, his body blurring as his reflexes took over. Twisting in the air, his leg lashed out, kicking the energy rifle out of his attacker's hands. This time, he could see his assailant; a well-built lizard, almost two and a half meters tall. His build put him on a size much bigger than Cyrus, but not necessarily stronger.

Landing on his feet, Cyrus sprang forward in a sharp kick, slamming his foot into the lizard's chest. He heard something snap, then the creature was stumbling backwards into the wall, grunting in pain. More sounds to his right caught his attention; more lizards were entering the room, all armed with energy rifles like the soldier he'd just kicked. Energy rifles to stun. He wouldn't be captured. Not again.