|Chapter 21| Fights between friends

Why is everyone panicking about Adam losing his sunglasses? That was more just him asking out of habit and low-key panicking about someone somehow seeing his yellow eyes and freak out. There's nothing significant about that.

Well, not in this book at least.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

          Autumn, as in its habit, had a confusing mixture of both hot and cold days. More often than not, the recruits would be sweltering during training under the sun for a week and then suddenly become freezing the next day as many were caught out by the sudden weather change. It was one of the most inconvenient things, Adam thought, because it meant you were never sure whether you should put on the regular jumper or the thick jumper. Today, he had been lucky with his choice of clothes: long pants and a short-sleeved shirt. The sun was hot but a slight breeze eased the heat a tiny bit, meaning that training was uncomfortable but not unbearable.

          Ty and Mitch were coaching two archery groups to the south of the training field, just visible from where Adam now stood. Jason was in deep discussion with a small group of recruits, making gestures with his hands as if moving things around. Jerome was training a group of newer recruits, most of whom barely knew one side of a sword from the other while Senior Commander Red and two other Commanders coached a full division. Adam, meanwhile, had a much simpler job of training the more advanced warriors. Even though he was more just supervising them, they knew what they needed to work on and how to work on it.

          Adam watched his group of recruits train, eyeing their technique and speed just in case there was something they were struggling with as a group. The world suddenly tilted and spun and Adam put out his hands a little to steady himself, waiting for the world to go back to normal. But with the tilt had come a horrible nausea and a headache at the base of his head that pounded with his heartbeat. He rubbed the spot, keeping his mouth firmly shut and then froze, glancing around at the training ground full of people.

           "Not now," he muttered to himself through gritted teeth. He glanced at his group. They wouldn't mind if he disappeared for a few minutes. He silently excused himself from the ground and walked quickly to and past the weapon sheds, trying to not draw attention to himself. He made it to the first row of buildings before the headache and nausea forced him to stumble into the relative shadows and sink to the ground, holding his pounding head and clenching his jaw.

          "Uh, are you alright sir?" a female voice hesitantly asked. Adam opened his eyes just enough to see that she had brown hair and was wearing a blue jacket.

           "Get Seto," he told her shortly. "Fast."

           Thankfully, the recruit didn't ask questions but sped off instantly. Adam took deep breaths, trying to either ignore the sickness or to push it away. He couldn't afford to lose it here, with so many people he could hurt. He had to at least push it back until Seto got here, Seto could sort it out.

          "Sir, are you okay?" a male voice asked worriedly.

          He blanked out like a switch had been flicked.

          Seto was just opening the door to the alchemy building when the female recruit ran up to him, breathing in short gasps. She had obviously run the entire way and before Seto could ask what the problem was, she gasped "Ad- General Adam said that he needs you, he seems really sick or..."

          Seto had started running before the girl had even finished her sentence or tell him where Adam was, but a sudden collection of shouting and loud calls coming from the training centre directed him. Lots of people were running from the firing range but they all parted for him, many staring after him over their shoulders. He heard Mitch and Jerome's voices shouting for people to get clear and when he burst into the training ground, he saw why.