Part 1

The precinct was abuzz with detectives carting suspects in and out of the interrogation rooms at the far end of the office. The phones on the rows of desks seemed to be constantly ringing and the noise was giving Lauren a headache.

She rubbed her temples irritably, trying to lessen the throbbing that was building in her head. The high turn over of cases lately meant stacks of paperwork and Lauren had barely scratched the surface.

Someone dropped a coffee mug onto her desk, causing Lauren to jump. "Last day of freedom Jauregui." Lauren looked up and saw Kyle leaning over her desk, his distinct cheeky smirk plastered on his face. She wasn't in the mood to deal with his banter today, she just raised her eyebrows as a thank you and took a sip from the steaming coffee he had placed on her desk.

"Foster and I have bets on how long it takes for you to request a new partner. I've got three days."

Lauren rolled her striking green eyes at him and sighed, "No one can be as bad as Miller." She jerked her thumb to the empty desk beside her. Coffee cup rings covered its surface from its previous resident. Just one of his annoying quirks that had irked Lauren to no end.

"Captain told you who it is yet?"

Lauren shook her head. "They're coming in this afternoon. Apparently its an inter-state transfer."

"Please let it be a chick." Kyle looked toward the ceiling and placed his hands together in a mock prayer.

"You're gross."

"What?! The one hot chick in the whole force is gay, I've been deprived." Kyle frowned his lips and looked at her with puppy dog eyes.

"Gross."

"Anyways, whoever it is will probably be in and out in a week and then I'll have another possible option," he winked.

"Don't get your hopes up. I have a good feeling about this one." Lauren turned back to her paperwork, not knowing that feeling would instantly vanish in a few hours.

Coming back from lunch Lauren noticed the Captain's door was shut. She could hear voices behind the frosted glass and could only assume her new partner was inside. She sat back down at her desk and began sifting through the slightly smaller pile of paperwork. After a few minutes the Captain's door opened and the grey haired man smiled in her direction.

"Jauregui, come in and meet your new partner."

He motioned for her to enter his office. As she stood up she noticed a woman through the doorway sitting in a chair with her back to them. Her dark hair was tied up in a long ponytail that waved down her white blouse. Lauren couldn't help but be reminded of her former best friend when she saw the high dark pony. That had always been her signature. But she quickly pushed the thought away as she entered the room.

"Detective, this is Detective Camila Cabello. You're new partner."

Lauren's jaw actually dropped as the words left his mouth. She had been right about the ponytail after all. Butterflies began swirling in her stomach and her heart was thundering in her chest as the stunning woman with her familiar chocolate brown eyes stood up and turned towards her, a nervous smile on her lips.

Just like that all of Lauren's previous optimism sailed right out the door.

-

Lauren hated the first day back at school, it was always so nerve racking when they got their new timetables. She quickly compared timetables with all of her friends and was excited that one of her friends was in mostly all of her classes, all but one. Science.

The first period of the day was PE and Lauren relished the physical activity. She was ultra competitive and loved exercising her athletic prowess. They were playing volleyball today and Lauren was all over the court, diving and ducking under the balls so that she never missed a shot.