Chapter 1

"Reya?" A young teenage boy called to her. His name was "Green", though Reya was the only one who called him that. Green made lengthy strides up the hill, desperate to find his friend. He wrestled over the top of the hill and finally found her. Kneeled on one knee, and an outstretched hand cupping under the snout of a wild wolf; her hair as white as snow, was braided and rolled into a neatly pinned bun. Green shook his head at the sight, a warm smile escaping him. Wide-eyed he watched her, a bit frightened at the predator's stability. He didn't dare make another sound, yet Reya tilted her head and spoke to the beast, as if it were her friend.

     "Magnificent, aren't you?" Reya asked with a gentle tone. Green kept still from afar. As frustrated as he had felt from having to scour the mountains for her, a sigh of relief released. Green understood her better than anybody; he knew the joy she carried in nurturing creatures of all kind, to get to know them and connect with them.

     The wolf accepted Reya, rubbing the bottom of his chin and throat all over her. Reya was tossed slowly into a sitting position where she giggled at the fur tickling her. Green didn't understand nature the way that Reya did, so he called out to her. Bursts of laughter echoed through the mountains. Green relaxed and sat down chuckling to himself. What a nut, he thought to himself.

     "Green!" She finally acknowledged him. "Do you see this?" Still, her giggles filled the air. Once again, Green nodded, grinning.

     "Yeah, you okay over there?" Green brushed his cheek. He couldn't decide if he should just leave her be or keep a close eye on her.

     Suddenly, Rangers rustled through the leaves in the distance, causing the wolf's ears to perk. Timid, he backed away. They hollered through the nearby trees, in search of Reya. It was then that Green witnessed something special; The wolf pushed his ears back, making eye contact with Reya. The morning sun beamed down on them, rays of light revealing a special bond between them. An unspoken understanding seemed to linger, which grew apparent when both Reya and the wolf leaped up in unison. Reya then remained still as the wolf ran off.

     Green approached Reya's side while the Rangers appeared from out of the woods, climbing the hill. "Will you be okay when they take you home?" Green eyed her with concern.

    "Ha, home." She scoffed. Her head fell backwards, amused at the word home.

     Abruptly, as the Rangers were only a few feet away, Reya turned to face Green. Her frosted blue eyes glistened. "I'll be alright. Kina and Josey will be happy to see me." A bit apprehensive to go back, she knew her foster siblings would be glad to see her again, or just relieved to know after disappearing for two days that she was okay.

     "Just don't ever do this again." Green requested as the Rangers spotted them. "You usually tell me where you are. I was a little worried this time." He added, mumbling off to himself in thought. The sun rose higher, suspended in beams of light. Polite, the two Rangers waved at Reya and Green. Respectfully, the two followed the Rangers out of the mountains and back to Reya's foster home.

     "Reya!" Josey screeched. "You're home!" Her dark curls bounced as she welcomed Reya with a hug. Reya bent down to her younger foster sister, returning the greeting. It didn't take long for Kina to come down the stairs, a scolding expression written on his face.

     "Reya." Stern, yet relieved, Kina spoke. "You know they aren't going to be happy about this." Reya's eyes drooped under the foyer light. Though their current foster parents were not the worst home they had been in together, Mr. and Mrs. Andra were unkind. She anticipated the yelling and slamming of doors once they saw that she had returned home. Reya flinched at the thought.