Chapter 12

I stomp inside, still fuming from my conversation with Luke. I can't believe he actually thought he has the right to tell me that Percy isn't the right guy for me. I'm a little guilty that I let that last bit slip about him picking Thalia over me because it's not his fault he liked her and not me. I didn't exactly make my feelings known.

"What's the matter?" Hazel asks as I throw my backpack down. I hesitate before deciding to tell her anything. I still don't know if Hazel was the one who released the letters and I don't know if I can trust her exactly but at the same time she's my little sister. If I can't trust her than who?

"Luke...is being a jerk about Percy and I. He doesn't think that we should be together but I told him that it wasn't his place to feel that way. I mean, who does he think he is? He's not my boyfriend and at this point I don't know if I can even call him my friend! He's hardly talked to me at all since him and Thalia split up. When I see him at school, he just gives me a surly look." I rant. Hazel listens without interrupting, which is a miracle in itself.

"Sounds like he's jealous." Hazel says simply. I go to say something but then I shut my mouth, thinking about what she said. Could he really be jealous? Is there a possibility that Luke actually likes me back? Despite that this realization should make me happy, I feel guilty instead. I should want to go find Luke and tell him how I feel and throw myself into his arms. Instead I start thinking of Percy and I realize how aware I am of him. I can recall perfectly how his eyes light up when he sees his friends, or how his hand fits so right in mine. I can practically smell his ocean scent even when I'm not around him.

****

Hazel and I are just settling in for our weekly Friday movie night when the doorbell rings.

"I'll get it." Hazel says and she heaves herself off the couch. I press play and the beginning credits start playing. I hear two people talking at the door but I can't tell who it is. I hear the front door close and I expect to see just Hazel coming back but instead she brings someone with her. Percy is following my sister into the living room and I freeze. I was not expecting to see him this weekend and I am not prepared to be seen by anybody like this. I'm wearing my ratty NYU sweatshirt courtesy of my dad, which hangs almost to my knees and it covers up the ridiculously short shorts I have on. My hair is crazy and I'm wearing my extra pair of glasses that have rainbows on them and are from middle school. Percy on the other hand looks even more ridiculous than I. He's wearing a clown t-shirt and suspenders attached to his bright red pants. A rainbow clown wig is resting on his head, not quite covering up his wild black hair. Hazel is having a hard time not laughing.

"Uh, hi." I say, still in shock. Percy plops down next to me, closer than he would have sat if it were just us. His thigh is just barely touching my bare one. He leans in and kisses my cheek, since my sister is watching and she isn't privy to the whole scheme. Hazel winks at me and goes into the kitchen under the pretense of wanting more popcorn. I pause the movie so that we can talk without missing anything.

"What are you doing here? And what is up with the clown get-up?" I whisper as soon as she is out of sight.

"Did you forget that it's Halloween? I'm supposed to meet up with the guys and watch horror films all night. You're supposed to accompany me to gatherings such as this." Percy says. I shake my head vehemently.

"Not happening. I don't do horror films and I def don't do costumes. Besides, Hazel and I have our weekly movie night. I can't skip out on her." I tell him.

"Fine then. Scoot over, make some room. I'll just stay here with you two." Percy says. I'm about to protest but he puts his hand over my mouth. I'm tempted to lick it childishly.

"What about your friends?" I mumble through his hand and he removes it.

"I really just want to hang out with you. Just because we aren't actually dating doesn't mean we can't be friends." He says quietly, taking a handful of popcorn from the bowl in my lap. My heart flutters at his words. Hazel comes back in after another minute and neither of us say any more. I press play again.

"Oh, I love this movie! My favorite part is when Hermione punches Draco. Iconic." Percy comments when he realizes what we are watching.

"He's a keeper." Hazel deadpans, staring me in the eye. We watch the movie in silence, laughing here and there. Turns out Percy is almost as big a Harry Potter nerd as I am. He can mouth along with the words and it's probably my favorite thing I've discovered about him. Hazel disappears after the movie ends and Percy and I are just sitting on the couch. I'm surprised my dad hasn't come down to 'check up' on us. We've both inched closer together as the movie went on and are now sitting  so close that I could lay my head on his shoulder if I wanted to. It scares me because I think that I want to. And I can't go catching feelings for Percy because he's just in this to make Rachel jealous. This whole arrangement will lead to nothing between us and to my surprise I feel disappointed when I remind myself of that.

"I should probably go.." Percy says softly but makes no move to get up. I incline my head slightly in order to look up at him and see him looking down at me. I can't read the strange look in his eyes. He leans his head down slowly, and for a second I almost allow it. Right before our lips touch I lean away, and close my eyes because I know that if I kiss him, it'll become real for me and I can't let that happen.

"We can't." I whisper, my eyes still closed. I can hear Percy's breathing and it's faster than normal.

"Why not?" He whispers back. I open my eyes to see him staring intently at me.

"I told you at the beginning of this that I don't want everything to be fake. You don't like me and I don't like you and I'm not the type of girl who just gives up all her experiences just because I have the opportunity. I want them to mean something and since you are just in this to get back at your ex, I don't exactly get anything out of it." I lie, hoping it's enough to convince him. He just nods.

"Fine. I get it." He sounds hurt and I'm about to apologize but he stands up.

"I'll see you later, ok? Thanks for the movie night." He gives me a sad smile and lets himself out. I sit, confused as hell.

So I know that this is a little different then the movie but I had to add some more development to it. I want it to be a slightly richer story than the movie and there will be a few more things that I'm changing up. The plot still remains the same.