Chapter 15 - In Love With You

I woke up with a ringing headache and my body was hot. What the fuck? I prayed I wasn’t sick. I tried to get up out of the bed, but I failed. Jimmy wasn’t next to me, but I heard the tv in his living room. I placed my feet on the hardwood floor and lifted myself up. I let go of the bed and stood straight. Good. I could stand. I sighed and walked to the kitchen. I got weaker and weaker as I reached the island in the kitchen. I put my hand on it to help stabilize myself and I felt myself dipping to the floor. The last thing I remembered was me falling onto the floor and Jimmy’s face hovered over mine.

“Zo!” A voice echoed.

“Zoey!” The voice got closer. I looked around and saw what looked like the backyard of my childhood home.

“What the hell?” I thought to myself.

“Zoey, what are you doing?” Michael appeared, with his hand on his head, shaking it.

“Mikey.. Mikey!” I shouted.

“Zoey, why are you doing this to him?”

“To who?”

“Jimmy.”

“What? I’m confused, Mikey what’s going on.” I said, on the verge of tears.

“He loves you. And you’re acting like you don’t love him back.”

“I do!”

“Show it, Zo. He’s the one. Don’t let him slip away. Please.”

“Mikey, Mikey!” I shouted over and over.

“Zoey!” A familiar voice rang. I opened my eyes and I was in Jimmy’s room, in his bed, and he was holding me.

“Mikey was here.” I sat up and the headache rushed back immediately.

“Your brother?”

I wiped my eyes and held him back, with my head on his shoulder.

“Zoey, drink some tea.” He handed me a coffee mug, full of warm tea. He removed his hands from my sides and covered me with blankets. I sat there, mug in hand, staring at the black screen on the unpowered television. This isn’t the first time someone’s told me to love Jimmy harder. I thought I was. I even had to have Michael come in my dreams and tell me. I needed to talk to someone. But I wasn’t sure who. Jess wouldn’t get it, Tina was an alright choice, but someone else. I stared at the screen for a little longer until it clicked.

“Bridget.” I thought to myself. I quickly scooted to the end of the bed and dug around in my purse for my address book and cell phone. I flipped through the book until I got to Bridget. Bridget was my best friend and college roommate. She was there for everything, from the good days to the shit I went through with Todd. She was away in Africa building a school and she went to all these places. She was such a great person. I dialed her number praying she’d find signal.

“Hello?”

“Bridge?” I answered.

“This can’t be Miss Zoey Montague.”

“This is she!”

“Holy shit, hey love! I haven’t heard from you in almost a year. You’ll never guess where I am.”

“Where?” I questioned. “I’m in New York! My work is done in Africa and I’m so tired, Zo. I was going to call you tomorrow. But what’s up? You okay?”

“I have a boyfriend. Before you know who he is and all that, I’m just having trouble.”

“What kinds of trouble?”

I sighed and continued. “I don’t think I’m loving him as much as he loves me.”

“Now why do you say that? You love him right, he’s treating you good?”

“Like a princess. I don’t know, his sister and my brother told me to love him harder.”

“Mikey said that? Okay something’s up.” She laughed. “Listen to me. The little things count, a lot. Treat him to dinner, kiss him on the nose sometimes, surprise him. I swear it’s not gay, guys like the favors to be returned. And one night when you guys are having dinner, drop it on him. Speak from the heart and tell him you love him in a way he’ll never forget it. Now, I’m gonna call you tomorrow and we can hang or something. Remember what I said.”

“You have to be the greatest friend in the history of friendship.” I clutched the phone to my ear, grinning.

“Yes I am, this is true. But I’m gonna call you tomorrow okay lovebug?”

“Sounds like a plan. Thanks again.”

“No problem, arrivederci!”

I sat up and realized the headache was kind of gone, but my strength was back. I went in the living room and realized Jimmy wasn’t there. He must have gone to buy my medicine or something. Poor guy, up on a Monday morning slaving around for me. I went to change into his Yankees jersey with some basketball shorts and stood on the balcony. The view always got to me. It was just, so great. The World Trade Center glistened and the sun shined in my face, which would usually be annoying. But today was a good day, even though I passed out about an hour ago. I heard the door open and Jimmy came right outside and stood next to me.

“So you’re feeling better?” Jimmy asked. I looked over to him and smiled before kissing his cheek.

“I’m perfect whenever you’re around.”

“You sure?” He chuckled and felt my forehead with the back of his hand. “You’re still pretty warm.”

“I’m fine, I promise. I love you so much.”

“I love you more, Zo.” He sat down in a chair, looking out at the view. I sat on his lap and admired his face.

“No, I really love you so much Jimmy. I don’t know a man in the world that can take your place. You’re so perfect and I’m so happy I held that elevator door open for you. I don’t know what I’d do without you. I’d probably be a mess.”

He smiled at me and wrapped his arms around my waist. “Really?”

“Duh James Thomas!”

“Woah woah, New York City doesn’t need to know my entire name.”

“I’m so in love with James Thomas Fallon Jr. it’s crazy!” I screamed to the top of my lungs. “Now that’s something New York City and the rest of the English-speaking world should know.”

Jimmy just laughed. “What’s gotten into you?”

“Well, you. And I just wanted to let you know I truly love you. I’m crazy about you.”

“I’m happy you are. Even though I already knew, I’m happy you are. I don’t know a girl in the world that can take your place.” He kissed me and we made out on the world’s greatest porch for the first time in the world’s greatest apartment with the world’s greatest boyfriend.

Like & comment! Thanks for reading!

sorry it's so short haha