Chapter Seven

Oh, how Silas sometimes wished he could drink while on duty. His day started out and continued to be hectic. For such a small town, the calls were rolling in. His first call was from Mrs. Abbey somewhere around five in the morning. According to her, one of her cows was stolen in the middle of the night, and while Silas had heard plenty of stories about cow-napping, in Wayward, it was more likely that the cow was off taking a nap instead of being taken by a cloak wearing burglar.

Mrs. Abbey's mind was slowly deteriorating after losing Mr. Abbey to a hunting accident last year. Silas groaned everytime he got a call about her on his radio from his dispatchers, but then he would suck it up and entertain the lonely lady. He was still trying to decide whether or not her hallucinations were genuine or if she was grasping for human interaction. Either way, Silas knew that humouring her was the right thing to do. 

He often times found himself missing the adrenaline rushes the Academy provided, especially on days like these, where each call was yawn inducing and a complete waste of his time. He didn't want to hear about Joe not paying his poker dues on time or about wild pigs stealing fresh fruit from unwatchful eyes. He needed action, something to keep him awake. 

He never planned on becoming Sheriff, but it was the closest he'd get to excitement while out here. It took a long time to get used to the slow life after abandoning the Academy with his brothers, but despite his yearning for a more thrilling lifestyle, he was happy here. Even if he wasn't able to drink on the job. 

Silas opened up the doors to the Tasty Cave and looked around the dark room. Day drinking was a big thing around here so he wasn't surprised to see full tables and plenty of drinks being filled by a bustling waitress. "Silas!" Amanda greeted him with a grin as she slammed two beers on the bar for a pair of older men. Both sets of eyes stayed firmly planted on her chest, and neither of the two said a thank you. Dirty old bastards. "How goes it?" 

"Amanda," he cordially greeted her back. Her red hair was done up in a sleek ponytail today and Silas thought it suited her well.  "Can I get a water when you're not busy? I'm meeting with North." Silas nodded his head to the far corner of the bar, where his friend sat with his head laid back against the wall, eyes shut.

"Sure thing, sweetie!" she said. "I'll have it to you in just a second."

Some of the town folk greeted him as he headed back, just as some glared in his direction. Joe, the unlucky poker player from one of his earlier calls sneered in his direction, probably still upset that Silas was forced to break up a fight between him and the man he owed money to. Not getting fussed over the sour man's attitude, Silas tipped his head and grinned. 

Walking up to North's table, he made sure to let the chair legs screech against floor before he took a seat. North opened one eye and glared while Silas asked, "Care to tell me why you're at a tavern so early in the day?"

He lifted his head from the wall and reached down to grab his beer, taking a sip. "There's nothing wrong with that." North flexed the fingers holding his glass and glared at the table. "Word has it that John Lowell hired some big time attorney from the city. He's demanding I settle before we bring it to the courts."

"You're not going to do that are you?" he asked seriously, not liking the resolve in North's gaze. When his friend took another gulp of his beer and nodded, Silas rushed to say, "Fuck that, you need to talk to Owen before you make any big decisions. How much is he asking for?" 

North's lips pinched. "Ninety thousand."

"What?" Silas choked. Amanda stared longingly at his friend as she put Silas's glass of water on the table. North, oblivious as always, only gave the poor girl a grunt when she smiled at him. Once she was back behind the bar, Silas added, "You can't be serious. Where will you even come up with that kind of money?