Chapter 3

Aria's P.O.V.

I awoke the next morning, becoming aware that i had probably slept a little too close to Mark then comfort levels allowed. My head was nestled on his firm chest, his arms wrapped tightly around me. I smiled at the scene but quickly stopped myself.

Well this is awkward. I slowly lifted Marks arm to get away from his grip, praying that he wouldn't wake up, but with my luck, he did just that.

His messy, ruffled light brown hair was pushed back, and he gave me an adorable smile.

"Morning Aria," his voice was raspy and it sent chills through my spine at the sound of my name.

I blushed. "Morning Mark." I mumbled. I quickly got up and began to get changed.

Mark looks over at me, and I can't help but smile at how adorable he looks. Even though he's in his 30's, he still looks young and handsome. I've never tried to deny the fact that he's, well- good looking.

At the sight of me getting my things together, he groans.

"You're leaving already? Just have breakfast, at least." I laugh at his bed head.

"Sorry Mark, can't. I have an exam early, like, in an hour. Gotta go, I'll see you soon, though?" He smiles, but can't hide his disappointment.

"Sure, kiddo. Call you later, and good luck!" I roll my eyes at his nickname for me, but mutter a thank you, and go on my way.

The car ride to my dorms is painful. The feel of Mark's hand on my arm still feels present. I can't help but feel like there's something, sorta, different. But it feels good, it feels right. I'm thinking about Mark's smile as I pull up to my dorm room.

I nod at my roommate, and begin to get ready for my test. As I approach the classroom, I sit down and fly by the test, praying that I didn't just bomb it. I have a pretty low confidence when it comes to school.

I head back to my room and flop down on my bed, kinda tired. I see a new message from Mark, and smirk at what they hold.

hey aria! i hope Ur doin well on ur test, my best wishes. P.S. U left ur notebook here.

P.P.S. U also left without giving me a hug. -Mark

I find this pretty cute, and text back a lame reply, apologizing, and saying I'll be there soon to pick up my notebook and deliver a much needed hug.

Within 20 minutes, I am at Mark's doorstep, and figuring I was just here a little while ago and he knows I'm coming, I don't bother knocking. I wish I had.

The sight definitely takes me by surprise, to say the least. His secretary is straddled on his lap, kissing him. I can't see his face. The door shuts closed behind me, and they both look up, startled. The look on Mark's face is guilt, if I had to take a wild guess, but I can't understand why. He's single.

"Aria! Hey...I, um, here's your notebook." He says, pushing his secretary, Leslie, according to her nametag, off of his lap in an instant.

I feel anger well up in me, anger that doesn't deserve to be there, but is. I give Leslie a cold stare and put my hand up to stop Mark.

"Forget it." I say, and walk out of his apartment, not delivering said hug. But I don't care. I walk as fast as I can to my car, but not fast enough.

I hear the familiar sound of footsteps behind me, and the sound of my name, but I don't stop. Reaching my car door, I desperately try to open it before he can stop me, but I am too late.

His hand is on top of mine before I can take a breath, and it abruptly stops me from opening the door and driving the hell out of this awkward situation.

Figuring I have to talk to him to reassure him I am fine, I turn around.

"Hi." I say.

"Hi." He says.

"Here's your notebook." He adds. And I take it, say thank you, and feel a tear fall down my cheek before I get into my car and drive as fast as I can.

And this time, he's just too late.