O • ( prologue. )

humans are social creatures by nature.

Soulmates were a peculiar thing, native to only the planet of Earth

Soulmates were a peculiar thing, native to only the planet of Earth. No two experiences were alike, and the relationships that popped up because of the phenomenon were celebrated in everyone.

Everyone had two soulmates. For most, it was one romantic soulmate and one platonic soulmate. A friend and a lover, a lover and a friend. Now, there were dozens upon dozens of exceptions, just as Chemistry always had.

If one were aromantic, they were more prone to have two platonic soulmates. If one were open to a polyamorous relationship, it was possible for them to have two romantic soulmates. The list goes on, of course, but those are the most common example used in the classroom.

Whatever soulmates you ended up having, their first words to you would be branded on your wrists from birth. Romantic in black, platonic in white.

These birthmarks accommodated everyone. Native language Chinese? Soulmarks would be in Chinese. Born blind? Soulmarks would be braille. Born without arms? Soulmarks would appear on your ankles instead.

However convenient these "soulmarks" may seem, they come with an unexpected side effects for 3/4's of the world's population. An odd genetic mutation theorized to have begun somewhere in the Ancient Middle East.

They cannot see two colors. One for each of the colors of their soulmates' eyes. Once the first exchange of words is complete, they're granted the blessing to see whatever color they had been missing out on.

If their two soulmates shared the same eye color, then they could not see the color until the second exchange. If one of their soulmates had some form of heterochromia, that was just more colors they would be blind to for awhile.

So, to make a long story short, the process and understanding of soulmates is complicated. It was a natural part of human life. Some found joy in it, and others simply compared it to a big annoyance.

For Keith Kogane, it was just another reason to despise his social habits.

soulmate au's own my entire ass ass, so i've combined my two favorites 🤠🤠. the prologue was just an explanation of how they work, sorry that it was such a mess 😔🤙🤙

everyone is still paladins in this book, but it still has several aus:

1. lance in blue, keith in red, shiro in black. bc fuck u
2. adam is alive and adashi is canon kings
3. theyre already back on earth the galra are defeated theyre being kids again
4. earth is open to aliens but life is basically the same for humans tho
5. the garrison doesnt exist (thats a joke i just hate them)
6. hance, aka the brown boys against lauren (their chaperone is adam), is canon
7. and obviously the soulmate thing

and uhhhh!!!!!!!!! keith is turning 21 in this fic!!!!! the time skips never happened bc fuCK that bad writing. instead he got back on earth as a 19 y/o and its been 2 years 😳😳🤠

(he turning 23 this year i believe tho if u wanna know)

voltron: legendary defender belongs to dreamworks.
anything original belongs to me.

started: october 23rd, 2018.
ended: october 23rd, 2018.

DEDICATIONS !
icyhot- -oneforall -spaceprinces -sunshinechild cosmiics Manimatsu bluewhalles
LAURAHARRIERS cautioner starfircs universalasteroid -tangerinebabe
( just some people have dealt with my antics for awhile now and supported my endeavors,
love yall lots xoxox 💖💖💛✨ )

— ALTERNATE COVER.