3|| Piper

Their last week spent at the Burrow was, to say the least, comfortingly stressful.

"And don't forget to pack tonight," Mrs. Weasley added shrilly as Ron pushed away his plate looking stuffed.

"T'nght?" he said through a full mouth. "We duh lee 'til ng-wok."

"But it will take a week for you to remember everything," said Mrs. Weasley with the learned skill of deciphering Ron's incoherent food-words. "And I don't want that last-minute scramble. And make sure you keep Crookshanks in his traveling basket when we leave!"

They packed into the Ministry cars on September first and were shuttled off to the King's Cross station by two dark, grim looking aurors.

"What's up with him?" Percy whispered dubiously as they felt their chauffeur's gaze burn into them.

Although it was evident as to why they were there, it still appeared to be a surprise to Harry when one of them grabbed his upper arm and began to steer him towards the barrier.

"I can walk, thanks," said Harry irritably as he yanked his arm out of the auror's grip. As if to prove his point, his walk was executed with painful intention.

Ron stifled a laugh and followed suit. By the time everyone had crossed, there was nearly two minutes before the train would leave.

"Hey hey hey, get on!" Nico shouted to a struggling Thalia as she fought her way through the crowd.

"Hey! It's everyone here!" Thalia barked. "Maybe if they got out of the way —" And with one big shove, she leapt onto the train.

"What was that crowd?" Hazel gasped.

"Harry, obviously," said Hermione. "Come on, let's get to the Prefects compartment."

With Ron, Hermione, Frank, and Hazel, Piper headed to the front of the train.

"So d'you know who the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher is gonna be this year?" Piper asked.

"Probably another poor bloke who can't last another year," said Frank.

"Harry said it's someone named Professor Slughorn," said Hermione. "He's taught at Hogwarts before, I wonder what made him come back."

The Prefects compartment held Anthony Goldstein and Padma Patil but was missing one pale-haired boy.

"Where's Draco?" asked Piper as she entered.

"Why're you asking us?" said Anthony. "You're his partner."

"Which is why I'm asking you," said Piper in annoyance. "Because I don't know where he is and as his partner, I should know."

"Well, if you find him, let him know that you two are taking the first patrol."

The patrols were somewhat of a joke as the Hogwarts Express wasn't particularly in need of security, but they strolled the halls anyway. Piper figured Draco's presence really wasn't necessary and that she would find him anyway on her way down, so she took her time.

"Hi, Piper," said Blaise as she walked past him.

"Hi, Blaise," said Piper. "D'you know where Draco is?"

"Yeah, he's back in our compartment."

"Where are you going?" asked Piper as she noticed he was walking opposite of the direction he pointed to.

"The new teacher's invited me to lunch or something," said Blaise with a shrug. "Dunno why."

"Alright, well, have fun."