🌴Tropical Vacation Time🌊

Author's note: I can't do correct spacing like indents in paragraphs on mobile so sorry if the spacing is kind of off😪
On to the one shot!!!!!
_______________________

Scale beach had to be Glory's favorite place in the whole rainforest.

It was the only place she had truly ever been alone in. No invisible rainwing guards surrounding her, no Grandeur, any other elder, friend, or worker was in her vicinity. Even her... interesting bodyguard. No one.

She felt free.

Like she could finally relax and let the ocean spray run along her scales, and let out sighs of relieved stress in the comfort of isolation. No dragons scrutinizing her, no one pestering her with annoying questions. No, not here. She was completely free.

In Scale Beach, south of her inland located tribe and along the rainforest's edge, the waves were warm and the air clean, where the sand flows between talons like powder. The rocky cliffs not too jagged or steep, the inhabitants not too loud or distracting.

Where it was just her left alone with the crashing of the sparkling azure waves on Glory's scales and her for-once-not blistered-with-work talons. Alone.

At least that's what she thought it would be, until two minutes into the vacation, and already, her annoyingly handsome bodyguard found his way back to her side, glaring at the ocean waves as if they were attacking her.

Glory sighed. When she allowed herself a rare vacation, she would prefer it to be alone. That's what she had very clearly stated to Deathbringer MULTIPLE TIMES and what she thought should have been obvious to him by the first warning.

"You know, the waves aren't trying to kill me or anything" Glory irritatedly watched  Deathbringer's "menacing" glare at the ocean lapping at their talons. He crossed his arms but kept his eyes trained on the water.

"You could get sucked in by a riptide and drown. Or, a huge wave could sweep you super far into the ocean. Too far to get out. And that's why I'm here," Deathbringer puffed his chest arrogantly and smirked in the annoyed queen's direction. "To keep you safe, babe."

Glory inwardly froze. She kept on forgetting that they were technically dating now, since she had regretfully said yes to one of his many attempts to make her his. She still wasn't used to his nicknames and sometimes wandering talons, even if they weren't meant to do any harm.

She ignored his pet name and continued. "I don't need your protection, I can function perfectly well on my own". Her eyes glanced up to meet his, and quickly shot back down to the calming sensation of warm waves continuously running through her talons. It didn't help to appease the thrumming of her heart against her chest though.

Babe, she thought. I kind of... like it...?

At that, Glory shook the ridiculous thought out of her head, and glared back into Deathbringer's burning gaze with newly found confidence.

"I can swim, Deathy," (Her pet name for him even though it wasn't much), "and it's not that hard to see a big wave coming and get out of the way."

He huffed and turned to face her, eyebrows raised in typical Deathbringer like sass. "Big is such an understatement of a word," he sighed. "I'm going to find us food. STAY HERE unless you want me to—wait actually if you could move away from the ocean, that would be better..."

But Glory didn't hear him. She was staring blankly into the sea, random thoughts of sudden anxiety bubbling in her head. A jumbled mix of all her responsibilities and yet-to-do duties that she was putting off by going on vacation whirled in her conscience. The queen clutched her head as an oncoming headache thumped in her skull loudly. Although, the feeling was not as foreign to her these days, that didn't mean she was completely used to it.

There was always just so much to do. Her tribe's trade, finances, carrying out requests and answering questions; it never ended.

What was I thinking, taking a vacation? Glory thought. Did it not cross my mind once that I would be digging myself into a pile of work? Or did I just ignore it, thinking it would be fine to deal with it afterwards? Letting someone else run my kingdom for multiple days! I'm so stupid!

The increasingly louder thumping in her head blurred everything else around her. She didn't even notice that she had stumbled farther into the ocean, foaming waves lapping across her chest and up to her neck. Neither did she hear Deathbringer yelling her name in panic until suddenly the headache stopped, and she realized that all she could see in front of her was blue.

All blue. Nothing else.

And it isn't the sky, she realized, a little too late.

Until the wave crashed down on her, dragging her under the ocean's surface quicker then she could comprehend. Glory's whole body was submerged in the suffocatingly warm ocean water. Her lungs burned as salt water flooded through her unsuspecting nose, as she accidentally inhaled more- the pressure dragged her body deeper. Suddenly, she realized she was drowning, but remained too frozen in shock to move.

Glory's senses finally hit her like the tidal wave that held her under the ocean's surface— when a strong talon gripped her shoulder, and another yanked her arm until she felt her body rising, and her head emerged above the waves.

Water stung her eyes and she couldn't see anything. She immediately gasped for air, talons flying wildly about until the queen felt the solid chest of her bodyguard and desperately pulled her self on him, before almost losing her grip and sinking back under.

But, Deathbringer caught her again and securely wrapped Glory's arms around his neck. She clung to his chest, head over his shoulder and coughing up salt water. He fiercely hugged her back, and wrapped her in his wings.

The high wave receded back into the ocean and now the water only reached their forearms. The couple stood there, resting in each other's arms, their shallow breaths being the only noise between them.

Only when Glory stopped shaking did they walk back to the shore and collapse onto the dry sand, staring at each other, exhausted and winded. They held each other's gaze until Glory shifted her vision to the sky, suddenly flustered by her bodyguard's intense stare.

After a moment, he sat up and leaned forward, turning her head to face his direction and resting his forehead against hers, their snouts touching. Glory still refused to look him in the eyes, but that did little to prevent the light seashell pink color of her scales from drifting up her chest and to her cheeks. With her eyes closed and snouts lightly pressed together, she felt like she was in heaven.

He smelled of sea water and sand but that didn't stop his normal scent from clouding her senses; peach and mango. And maybe tea leaves. Something like that, she could never really tell. But it was comforting, especially when he shifted to cup a feather-light talon on her cheek. Their breath mingled and tickled Glory's cheek.

But she was truly in heaven when the queen finally opened her eyes to meet his violet orbs, light purple in color like a lavender petal in a field of orchids. That's the only thing she could compare it to.

Before she could allow herself to get even more sucked into the swirling depth of his irises, without thinking, she quickly closed the gap between them.

His lips were soft. He was soft, unlike his appearance. He fit together with her perfectly. And he tasted like peaches and mint.

That's all Glory could comprehend.

They slowly pulled back after what seemed like an eternity— or a few seconds— and held each other's gaze again.

After such a long period of silence between them, the first and last words exchanged between them at Scale Beach were something along the lines of see, I told you it was dangerous and shut up. But Glory couldn't really tell.

Neither of them were really interested in words at that moment.

...

YEET
IM MCFRICKING GOIN FOR THAT GLORYBRINGER TITLE 🤡🤡🤡