sixteen

Mary Lou stood on the landing overlooking the main church below in the second Salem church

Mary Lou stood on the landing overlooking the main church below in the second Salem church. She turned back toward Credence and slowly, her face full of loathing, snapped the wand that Modesty found in two. As Modesty cowered in a corner, Credence began to remove his belt. Mary Lou held out her hand and took it.

"Ma," he pleaded.

"I am not your ma! Your mother was a wicked, unnatural woman!"

Modesty forced her way between them. "It was mine."

Mary Lou looked at her. "Modesty - "

Suddenly, the belt was whipped out of Mary Lou's hands by a supernatural force and fell like a dead snake in a far corner. Mary Lou looked at her hand. It was cut and bleeding from the force of the movement. She was stunned, looking between Modesty and Credence.

"What is this?" Mary Lou questioned.

Modesty stared defiantly at her. Credence was crouched down, hugging his knees and shaking.
Trying to remain composed, Mary Lou moved slowly to retrieve the belt. Before she could even touch it, the belt slithered away across the floor. She backed away in fear. She turned slowly back toward the children. As she moved, an almighty force exploded into her. A bestial, screeching, dark mass that consumed her. Her scream was bloodcurdling as the force threw her back, crashing into a wooden beam, and flinging her over the balcony. Mary Lou smashed down onto the floor of the main church. She bore the same marks as Senator Shaw. The Dark force flew through the church, upending the table and destroying everything in sight.

·     ·    .    *     *    ✧      
         ✵  ✹       · .  ☆                                  

Newt, Tina, Queenie, Cora, and Jacob entered a Department store. The windows were full of glamorously dressed mannequins. Jacob stared into the shop windows, staring at a handbag which was sliding down the arm of a mannequin by itself. Newt, Tina, and Queenie watched as the bag hovered in midair and floated off into the store. They quickly went inside the store. It was decorated for Christmas. All the lights were off for the night.

The handbag was floating down the central aisle, accompanied by grunting noises. The group quietly walked through the store, hiding behind a large plastic Christmas display.

"So, Demiguises are fundamentally peaceful, but they can give a nasty nip if provoked," Newt explained.

Dougal the Demiguise appeared. It was a silvery-haired orangutan-like creature that was bearing over a display to reach a box of sweets.

"You two...head that way," Newt commanded Jacob and Queenie. "And try very hard not to be predictable."

Jacob and Queenie exchanged perplexed glances before heading off. A small roar could be heard in the distance. Dougal looked up at the ceiling before gathering the sweets, shoveling them into the handbag.

"Was that the Demiguise?" Tina asked, referring to the roar.

"No, I think it might be the reason that the
Demiguise is here," Newt answered.

Tina and Newt moved toward Dougal, watching it quietly. Feeling their gazes, he turned and looked at Newt quizzically before moving up a set of side stairs. Newt smiled and moved to follow. The attic storeroom was filled to the ceiling with shelves packed with boxes of China. Dougal walked along the attic in a patch of moonlight. He glanced around before stopping and emptying its handbag full of sweets. His sight operated on probability, so it could foresee the most likely immediate future. Newt came into view, creeping up behind Dougal.

"What's it doing now?" Tina asked.

"Babysitting," Newt answered.

Dougal held up one of the sweets, seeming to offer it up to something.

"What did you just say?"

"This is all my fault. I thought I had them all, but I must have miscounted," Newt expressed, sighing frustratedly.

Tina saw a creature with scales. "It was babysitting that?"

"Occamies are choranaptyxic, so they grow to fill available space."

The Occamy saw Newt and craned its head to look him more clearly.

"It's all right. Mommy's here," Newt calmly said.

"Hi, sweet-pea, remember Daddy?" asked Cora calmly.

The Occamy roared, recognizing Cora's scent.

"That is not the reaction I was hoping for!" Cora exclaimed.

"Teapot!" Newt shouted, and they all scrambled.