Chapter 18

"It's okay darlin'," the voice wasn't Liam's.

Sobs tried to escape my throat as I opened my eyes. I have never been so happy to see someone.

Greg cut me loose and helped me sit up. I leaned against his chest and cried in relief.

After a moment, I dried my eyes. I needed some answers.

"How? Why?" The words wouldn't come out as my throat was parched.

"You're bleeding," a little bit of a Southern accent blended into Greg's words. I never noticed that before, but that probably had to do with our lack of acquaintance.

"Don't do that," I glared at him. I was thankful, however, I wanted the truth.

His lips rose on the corners into a smile. He knew what I meant. Smart man.

"Well, I was on my way back to the house, and I saw him pass by in this truck. So, I turned around and followed him, recognizing him from the BOLO," Greg rubbed the five o'clock shadow growing on his jaw as he talked.

His eyes were black, a color I rarely saw in eyes. There was something raw and dangerous in him I had never picked up on before. Now, I could see it in the depths of his irises, but I also felt something else. Kindness, compassion, maybe a little lust. It was confusing, so I shook my head.

"Okay. Fine. I guess that answer works," I locked my eyes onto his. "Where is he?"

"Taken care of." He smirked, his eyes reflecting the sunlight.

"What the hell does that mean? Who the hell are you?" I tried to stand up, yelping in pain and grabbing Greg for support. I forgot about my leg.

He glanced around, reaching inside his denim jacket. I flinched, relaxing when he withdrew a rectangle leather wallet.

Flashing his special identification, my jaw dropped as I read it.

GREGORY HARRINGTON - FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

"WHAT?" I stepped back, resting my butt against the tailgate.

"You can't tell anyone, not even your cop boyfriend. I was assigned next door to you, not on purpose, but as a way to keep an eye on the community. That's all I can say without signing my own death sentence." He raked a hand through his thick hair.

"We need to leave before your boyfriend..." he started, but I interrupted.

"Saul. Detective Perez." I shot him another look. Maybe I should be nicer to him, he saved my life. I sighed and softened my look. His eyebrow rose a smidge.

"Okay. Detective Perez. We need to go before he has half the United States looking for you. Let me explain, okay darlin'?" There it was again, his accent. I couldn't figure this guy out. I wish I could read his mind.

Nodding, he opened the back door of his extended cab Dodge truck. He explained I could stretch my leg out this way and be able to relax more.

"I'd love to have you sit up front and chat with me, honey, but you need to take care of that leg," he winked and gestured towards a bag of medical supplies on the floorboard.

Greg drove me the three hours it took back to town in relative silence.

When we reached Angel's Creek, I had my leg rebandaged and used a pack of wet wipes to clean my dirty face and arms. I tried asking Greg questions, but he wouldn't give me answers.

He saved my life. What he did with Liam, I didn't care, as long as he was never able to come after me or my family ever again. I felt tired to the bone. This last week will take a while to recover from.

Gregory swing the back door wide, assisting me out. He gently encircles my waist with his hands and set me on the ground, ensuring I had good footing before letting go. His fingers brushed some residual dirt off my cheek, and his eyes tenderly traced the wound on my face.

"Be careful. Don't make me come save you again," he let his hand drop and turned on his heel, heading for Saul.

I watched as they stood together as Greg explained all that happened. He showed him his badge, subtly as to not attract attention. They both looked at me, arms crossed. Together they looked like a mess of testosterone covered in bronze skin and muscle.

Shaking my head, I forced a smile and limped a couple steps toward the pair. Saul embraced me, squeezing the breath out of me. When he released me, I casually looked around for my rescuer, intending on inviting him for dinner the next evening. He had disappeared.

Saul took a few days off. Liam had been picked up by the feds where Greg had found me, and he was rushed to a hospital to receive treatment.

"Greg is bad news. I think he cut Liam up just enough to make him hurt," Saul stretched out on the bed beside me in my newly carpeted bedroom.

"He deserved it," I muttered, tracing Saul's collarbone down to his abdominal muscles.

"Listen, Mami," his fingers touched my chin, careful not to brush my bruises and cut. "As a cop, I disagree. We can't go around cutting people up. That's torture. But, as your boyfriend, I wish he'd killed the bastard."

"Allegedly," I smiled, my heart feeling warm.

"What?"

"What?" I mocked, grinning devilishly.

"I love you," he spoke softly, his rough hand brushing the hair out of my face. He looked at me like I was a precious gem.

"I love you too," I replied honestly.

Our lips met, and warmth spread throughout my body. We moved closer and he pulled me astride his hips. Looking down at him, never had I felt so happy. My past will never be gone, but over time, he can help me heal. I sent up a silent thank you to whoever was listening, and prayed that we would make it. Together.

~~~~~~~~~~
The pain that you've been feeling, can't compare to the joy that is coming.
- Romans 8:18