Witchblade Story - The beginning

This all began in the late 19th century when, while on an archaeological dig in Greece, Kenneth Irons discovered The Witchblade gauntlet. Curiosity about the mystical artifact soon led to a quest for knowledge, which would later become a true obsession with the Witchblade, and controlling the power it holds. Kenneth Irons has researched every bearer of The Witchblade, read every ancient tome that might refer to its capabilities, and attempted to find that one person whom it would accept, and reveal its secrets to.

Kenneth Irons was an international businessman and criminal mastermind who was the person behind many of the evil deeds in the Top Cow universe.

500 B.C. Myrene: Although the origins of the Witchblade remain under speculation, Witchblade Watchers have traced it's use back through ancient history. Most certainly its first great wielder was the Gorgon Amazon's mightiest queen, Myrene. Myrene succeeded in raising a cavalry of 30,000 women and conquered a stupendous amount of territory including parts of Syria and Egypt. Depending upon the source, she is described as a benevolent conqueror or an incredibly vicious warlord - which is consistent of a Wielder who may not be able to control the Witchblade's penchant for bloodlust. When Myrene died, she was buried near Troy with the Witchblade still on her wrist.

480 BC Artemisia: It is believed that the Witchblade was later exhumed by Artemisia I, the female advisor to Xerxes, ruler of the Persian Empire. With the help of the Witchblade, Artemisia lead successful naval attacks on the Greeks in 480 BC.

45 BC Cleopatra: The Witchblade was next attained by the Romans, where it resided until Caesar deigned to present it to the Egyptian Queen, Cleopatra VII around 45 BC And though she wore the Witchblade with great success, making her irresistible to men and invincible as Queen, the fickle weapon betrayed Cleopatra in the end and fell from her wrist in her greatest time of need, just as Octavian demanded her surrender. For the next 100 years, the Witchblade was most likely on display in Rome along with many of Cleopatra's treasures. But as the Roman Empire expanded under Claudius, surely the Witchblade played it's part, though no true wielders have been identified during this period. It is thought that Claudius himself may have tried to wield the Blade, and we know that it traveled in his possession on his conquests to Britain.

61 A.D. Boudicca: It was in ancient London where the Celtic warrior Queen Boudicca acquired the Witchblade when she sacked the city in 61 AD Queen Boudicca tried and failed to wield the Witchblade, but understanding it's powers - - at least in part - - she resolved to keep the strange gauntlet in her possession until the time when the rightful wearer would appear.

70 AD Cathain: Many a Celtic maid of brave and true disposition tried to stir the interest of the Witchblade, but it was not until the Harvest time (now believed to be November 11) that a beautiful and bold young woman named Cathain came before the court of Queen Boudicca and asked to try on the Gauntlet. To the amazement of all, the Witchblade melded perfectly upon her wrist and there is stayed for decades. Cathain became a great defender of the Celts and was heralded as a Goddess in song and legend. Her lover was the Celtic prince, Conchobar. It is a point of argument among Witchblade Watchers that upon Cathain's death, the Gauntlet was passed along through the women in her bloodline. It is thought that Cathain's great granddaughter - - either by consent or through blackmail - - assisted the Romans in attaining their vast empire. It is said she fell in love with a Roman soldier and fought by his side in the campaigns to take the Middle East, and that while battling the Syrians, the Witchblade was taken from her wrist by her opponent the great warrior queen Septima Zenobia.

250 AD Septima Zenobia: Septima Zenobia governed Syria from 250 AD to 275 AD and was known to lead her armies on horseback wearing full armor. During the reign of Claudius II she defeated the Roman legions so decisively that they retreated from Asia Minor. So great was her power and reputation after acquiring the Witchblade that Arabia, Armenia and Persia allied themselves with her and she claimed dominion over Egypt. Claudius II's successor, Aurelian, sent his most experienced legions to conquer Septima Zenobia, but it took almost 4 years of battles and sieges before her capital fell and Septima, along with nine other martial queens of allied provinces where paraded through the streets of Rome in chains. It is thought that rather than have the Witchblade fall into the hands of her enemies that Septima gave the gauntlet to a eunuch in her court with the promise that he would bring the precious bracelet to her once the Romans were satisfied that she had been conquered. But instead the eunuch, having seen the powers of the Witchblade, sold it to a Chinese trader who did not believe in it's magic but valued its unusual gem, thinking it was a large ruby. In-turn, the trader sold the Witchblade to a prominent Japanese merchant.