Those We Need The Most

For the entire rest of the evening Mahiru barely registered what was going on, numbly moving along as if stuck in a trance.

The ambulance arrived. People checked Kuro's pulse and breathing. Someone said something about concussions and cracked skulls. They picked him up on a barrow and carried him into the ambulance. Mahiru followed mechanically. They asked him if he was okay. He didn't remember what he replied with. All he remembered was sitting down by Kuro's side while the ambulance car sped through the streets with sirens howling.

Kuro didn't stir for the entirety of the ride. His eyes remained shut. His face had been cleaned, the blood wiped and his forehead bandaged, but Mahiru knew that underneath this bandage still lay a bleeding wound. The only proof that he was still alive was the low rise and fall of his chest as he breathed.

A few times Mahiru thought of talking to Kuro. A few times he might have said his name, or maybe he had imagined that, he didn't know. Maybe he hadn't been able to get a word out. Maybe they were stuck in his throat and nothing escaped his mouth except mangled gasps and raspy breaths. He didn't know. He didn't remember. It didn't seem to matter.

They reached the hospital. Kuro was pulled and carried out. They pushed him through the hospital. Different people spoke among each other, then they addressed Mahiru. He dimly remembered being asked about what happened. He didn't know what he said. Something about being hit by a baseball bat, probably. Maybe something more. He couldn't tell if he had told them Kuro had jumped in to protect him or if he had only added that in his head.

Kuro was pushed further. Mahiru tried to follow. Someone stopped him. He didn't argue. He simply let himself be led away until he came to a waiting room and sat down, staring at nothing.

Was he calm? Was he panicking?

He wasn't sure. Maybe it all wasn't real to him yet. Maybe his brain refused to accept that this had happened. Maybe it was all just a bad dream, and soon enough he would open his eyes and find that the past few days had been nothing but a long, long nightmare.

Dimly he wondered what the others were doing. Hugh had been carried off in an ambulance too, if he remembered correctly. And the others all had injuries of their own. Maybe they had come here. Maybe they would soon be led to this same waiting room and join him, in what, he didn't know.

Where was Kuro? What were they doing with him?

Mahiru half considered looking it up. Searching it on his phone, what injuries a hit with a baseball bat could cause, how it was treated. How long it would be until Kuro woke up. If he woke up. What state he would be in when he did. But moving his hand into his pocket and pulling out his phone felt like trying to lift an impossibly heavy weight. He couldn't do anything. He simply sat there.

After all, researching would tell him nothing about Kuro. It wouldn't help him find clarity. It would only present a number of possibilities.

So all he could do was wait until something happened. For better or for worse.

---

Tetsu was still kneeling at Hugh's side when Misono arrived, leading the paramedics through the hidden passage and down the stairs. Hugh still hadn't moved an inch. He hadn't woken up either.

"There they are," he said, stepping off the stairs and standing aside to make way for the paramedics as they, too, knelt down by Hugh's side, checking his pulse and breathing and inspecting him for any injuries. They asked Tetsu some questions in a low voice, and then they turned to Misono.

"He was definitely drugged," said one of them, a serious-faced middle-aged woman. "Probably with an overdose, since he's still in a coma. But he may have a concussion too, and other injuries. Do you know how he came to be down here?"

Misono shook his head. "No. When we arrived here he was already on the ground, in this same position." He gestured to Hugh's unnatural posture. "However, I suspect that he was thrown down the stairs or handled roughly on the way. Some of his bones are broken, aren't they?"

"Yes," she said, "that's what I suspected too. I can't say for sure, but it looks like his spine may be damaged. To say nothing of his arm and legs." She turned around. "We'll take him to the hospital now so he can get X-rayed and treated. Are you two his friends?"

Tetsu and Misono nodded.

"We can take one of you along," she said, "but it's not safe for the two of you alongside him. Which one–"

"Take him," Misono said, gesturing at Tetsu before she had the chance to finish the question.

Tetsu's gaze lifted, perhaps for the first time since they had found Hugh lying here. "Misono–"

"Don't worry about me, I'll follow soon. I can call Dodo-san, he should be nearby." Misono made a dismissive gesture. "You are closer to him than I am. You go with him."

The paramedics gazed expectantly at Tetsu. He glanced at Misono, then at Hugh, then at the two adults. Then he nodded.

Very carefully they picked Hugh up and carried him back up the stairs and out of the house. Misono and Tetsu followed behind. Neither of them spoke a word. Tetsu's eyes were still resting on Hugh, half frightened, half hopeful, as if expecting him to open his eyes at any moment now that help was here. Nothing happened.

Misono's eyes fell on Tetsu's face, then dropped down to his hand where it was clenched into a fist at his side. It didn't seem to fit Tetsu at all. None of this did. Tetsu, who was always so calm, who took everything in stride without ever batting a single eye... the same Tetsu who had casually accepted Misono's non-response to his confession even though it must have hurt him badly. How much pain did he have to be in to show it so openly? How worried, how afraid and terrified did he have to be about Hugh's well-being to have this look on his face?

He wished he could say something. He wished he knew the words to comfort Tetsu in this situation, cheer him up somehow, lighten his burden even if he could only lift off a few ounces. He wanted to tell him he understood how he felt, or that it would be all right, in some way or another. But no words seemed appropriate. He wasn't like Lily or Shirota, who understood emotions and knew how to make people feel better with words alone. Up until this spring he had been virtually friendless. Nobody had ever taught him how to deel with situations like this.

Inhaling deeply, he opened his mouth, only to silently let the breath out again. His throat was dry, his tongue refusing to collaborate. So many books he had read, and not one of them gave him the slightest hint for what he was supposed to say.

Beside him Tetsu opened and closed his hand, now clenching it tighter than ever. Misono swallowed. His hand... He could almost hear Lily's voice in his head, or maybe it was Shirota's, he couldn't tell. If words aren't enough, say it with gestures.

His fingers stretched out in the direction of Tetsu's hand. For a moment they hovered in midair, ready to brush against it.

Then his hand dropped limply back to his side.

This wasn't the time, he thought. Tetsu was worried sick about his friend. Right now was no appropriate time to hold his hand, especially with everything that had gone down between them. It would look like flirting, even Misono could see that.

So he simply walked beside him until they reached the ambulance and Tetsu followed Hugh inside.

There was a moment's silence. Tetsu's eyes met with Misono's for the fraction of a second.

Misono took a deep breath, and this time words did come out.

"Take care. I'll be right behind with the others."

Tetsu cracked a tiny smile. Then the doors were closed, and the ambulance disappeared down the street.

Shaking himself as if to get out of a trance, Misono turned and pulled his phone out of his pocket to dial Dodo's number.

---

They had escaped.

Licht took a deep breath, allowing himself a precious few moments of rest as he let his gaze roam around the place. The house and yard were completely wrecked. Plants had been trampled, windows shattered. Ambulances stood nearby, blue lights flashing round and round with a blinding brightness. More and more police cars were pulling up. People in uniforms were running into the house and returning with unmasked strangers, pulling them into their cars or talking hastily on their phones.

C3 seemed to have disappeared. Where they had gone to Licht didn't know, and for the moment he didn't care. A policeman had stopped him and Hyde as they left the building, but after writing down their information and looking up a few things he had left them alone, telling them they would be contacted again later.

And now they were here, on the edge of the chaos, bruised and battered but safely out of the battle.

With a groan and a sigh Hyde sat down at Licht's side, patting down his clothes and making a face. "What a shame," he said. "And those were some of my favorite clothes too. I should've just worn my school uniform."

Licht said nothing. He only let his gaze roam over Hyde's body and face, taking in the ripped and bloodied outfit, the gashes and cuts and the countless bruises. One of his eyes was blackened and swelling up. He looked beat up and very exhausted, but he seemed to have no serious injuries, nothing that wouldn't, in a few days or weeks, heal on its own. No broken bones this time. No concussions.

Thank goodness, he thought. If there was one hope he had secretly kept throughout this evening, it had been that tonight wouldn't turn into a repetition of that day. Once had been enough for a lifetime.

Finally Hyde left his clothes alone, not without a dramatic groan and sigh about his loss. His gaze flitted to Licht, observing his body, inspecting him for a long, silent moment. "Angel-chan," he said at last, "you're okay, right?"

Normally Licht would have grown annoyed at that, but today he only straightened his posture a little. "Of course I am," he said. "I'm an angel. Worry about your eye first."

Hyde's fingers brushed over his black eye, as if only just reminded of its presence. "That? Oh, that's fine," he said, laughing. "I told you, I've had worse."

"I know." Licht cracked a smirk. "Still doesn't mean you shouldn't do something about it."

Hyde blinked, then his head abruptly spun around, his uninjured eye growing wide. "What's that, Angel-chan?" he asked, trying and failing to mask his surprise with a smirk. "Do I detect actual concern for my well-being?"

Licht crossed his arms. "Problem?"

Hyde didn't reply. He only stared at Licht with his mouth gaping open, evidently stunned into silence.

"What?" Licht said at last, half flustered, half smug about Hyde's reaction. "I'm an angel. Angels look after people and protect them, stupid hedgehog!"

Hyde's expression changed from amazement to confusion. "Hedgehog...?"

"Your hair."

Still puzzled, Hyde brushed a hand over the spikes of his hair.

Then he burst out laughing.

"Hedgehog!" he shouted, throwing back his head and clutching his sides. "Lichtan, what the hell are you thinking? You're so weird!" He wiped his eyes. "Well, I guess it's a step up from being a rat, huh?"

Licht didn't answer. He tried to keep his trademark scowl, but a smile was tugging on his lips. Hyde's laughter, while a little obnoxious in sound, was the most normal thing he had heard all night, the first reminder that the battle was over and even if they were all still beaten up, little by little everything would soon go back to the life they knew.

And even if it was embarrassing to admit, he was glad Hyde was okay. All throughout this battle thoughts had haunted him of the last time they were in this building, the locked door, the injuries, the cracked and broken bones, and inadvertently he had found himself staying close to Hyde, fighting back to back with him whenever he could. He didn't want Hyde to be outnumbered and injured like that again. Hyde... Hyde was annoying at times, but he didn't deserve that. And Licht didn't like the thought of going to classes without him either.

Somehow... he just felt better with this guy around. Happier, somehow. And when he wasn't there, it was like he was suddenly missing a small piece of himself.

This feeling... was there a name for it? Friendship? Companionship? No, it had to be–

"Oh, there you are!"

Lily's voice interrupted his train of thoughts, his footsteps rapidly approaching as he came hurrying up to them, pale but relieved. At some distance behind him Misono followed, much slower than his friend. There was no sign of Tetsu or Hugh, nor of Mahiru and Kuro. "Thank goodness we found you! Are you both all right? Can you walk?"

Licht and Hyde nodded. Lily gave a sigh of relief, sitting down next to them at some distance and wiping his forehead with his sleeve, looking as if this was the first break he had got since Mahiru's disappearance. "That makes four of us," he said. "Big brother Hugh is unconscious, he went to the hospital in an ambulance. Tetsu-kun went with him."

Licht stared at him, waiting for him to continue, but Lily remained silent. Only his grave smile revealed that something was seriously wrong, or several things, on top of Hugh's trip to the hospital.

"And big brother?" Hyde asked at last, speaking out what they all thought. "And Mahiru-kun? Where did they go?"

Lily opened his eyes, looking uncomfortable. Suddenly all gazes rested on him, even Misono's, who had seemed completely spaced out on the entire way to this place.

"I... don't know what happened to big brother," he said, "but he must have been badly injured too. I saw him being carried into an ambulance, and Mahiru-kun following." He frowned. "I have not heard from them since."

They all swallowed. And yet none of them were truly surprised.

"So," Lily said at last, mostly to break the silence, "we have already called Dodo-san, but shall we tell him where we are and ask us to bring us to the hospital? I do believe our friends can use some support right now."

---

"Tsurugi? Tsurugi, don't get up!"

Tsurugi stirred, but Jun's firm hand quickly pushed him back to the ground. "Don't move," he said. "You can't sit up in this state, let alone walk. You're miles past your breaking point." His face clouded over. "Honestly, you should never have come here."

Groaning, Tsurugi opened and closed his mouth, but it was hard to speak. Everything hurt. He was dizzy and shaky and on the verge of passing out. His chest was burning up from the inside. Jun was right. As much as he hated to admit it, he had definitely gone too far past his limits this time.

"Jun!" Yumikage shouted as he marched across the room, grabbing Jun by the shoulder and yanking him upright. "Why the fuck did call an ambulance? I know Tsurugi needs help, but if that creep of a teach finds out what happened to him–"

"I know what I did, Yumi." Jun's voice was strained but quiet as he stared back at him. "But at this point we can't hide it anymore. If we don't get help, Tsurugi's body might be seriously damaged... or he might die. And if Touma-sensei doesn't find out he can't fight anymore, he'll keep sending him on missions until not even an ambulance can save him anymore."

Yumikage hesitated. "You're right," he said at last, "but there's got to be some other way! Some way to save his life and not take away his only family!"

Tsurugi stirred again, but he couldn't say a word. He didn't even know what he would have wanted to say in the first place. All he was certain of was the growing feeling of dread growing inside his body, half mingling, half battling with the pain and dizziness and physical panic.

"His family?" Jun replied, and this time he made no effort to hide the anger in his voice. "This man should never have become Tsurugi's family in the first place! Look where it got him! Are you saying he's better off with a family that slowly kills him than no family at all?"

"He's been working himself this hard 'cause he wants that family to love him!" Yumikage shouted back. "If you get him kicked out now, it's all gonna be for nothing!"

"But he'll be alive, Yumi! He can't get over the pain of losing his family if he's dead!"

Yumikage didn't reply. He only hung his shoulders, balling his fists and kicking a loose pebble hard against the wall.

"Don't get me wrong," he said at last. "I don't want Tsurugi to stay with that creepy-ass bastard either. But I want him to see through his bullshit and walk away on his own. Not get kicked out 'cause he's only human."

Jun sighed. "I know. But sometimes you don't have a choice."

"Actually," said a voice from the door, "maybe you do. Isn't that right, Abel?"

Tsurugi tried to lift his head and instantly regretted it. He recognized that voice. He knew it inside and out. And if it hadn't been for Yumikage and Jun's startled gasps, he would have written it off as a hallucination.

"Mikuni!" the exclaimed as a set of footsteps crossed the floor, coming to stand directly next to Tsurugi's head. A hand brushed hair out of his face to fully uncover the bruises on his forehead and cheek, and a second later a face popped into his field of vision.

"My, my, Tsurugi-san," Mikuni said close to his face, his mouth distorted into a caricature of a smirk. "What a pitiful state you're in. It almost makes me want to kick you... but I'm feeling generous today, so I'll have mercy." He glanced over his shoulder into the direction of Yumikage and Jun, who were glaring daggers at his back. "After all, I didn't come here for kicking you when you are down," he added, turning back to Tsurugi. "Instead I've come to make a suggestion."

Tsurugi tried to say something, but it was Jun who spoke in his stead. "What kind of suggestion?"

"We take Tsurugi-san to the hospital and let him be saved." Mikuni straightened up where he knelt on the ground. "However, Touma-sensei won't find out what happened to him or where he is."

Silence. Tsurugi wanted to say something again, wanted to ask something, protest, he didn't know. But words slipped out of his grasp. He was too drowsy and too shaky and in too much pain to do anything but listen and hope the ambulance would come soon, whatever else happened from then.

"Let me explain," Mikuni said when Tsurugi's friends stared at him in disbelief. "I can cover the hospital bills. I can also pull some strings to make sure no one knows he was ever brought there. All you two need to do is pretend you lost sight of him in the battle."

Jun and Yumikage gasped, both beginning to protest at once. "But–!"

"No buts." Mikuni stood up. "It's simple. You entered the hideout, but there were more fighters than you thought. You were separated in the crowd and swept away from each other. After the battle you two found each other again, but neither of you could make out any trace of Tsurugi-san." He fully turned towards them, making a casual gesture. "See? Abel agrees it's easy."

Yumikage and Jun hesitated. For a long, slow moment, neither of them spoke.

"It's a risk," Jun said at last, "but it will help save Tsurugi. There's just one thing I'm wondering about..." He looked from side to side, as if searching for hidden listeners. "After he's released, what's your plan? If we send him back to Touma-sensei–"

Tsurugi couldn't see Mikuni's face, but from the sound of his voice he could tell he was grinning.

"No worries," he said. "After his release I'll take care of him."

On the street outside the howl of an ambulance siren approached.

---

How much time had passed? How long had he been sitting here?

Mahiru sat in a haze. His thoughts were foggy and incoherent, passing through his mind like wisps of clouds and disappearing without a trace. Minutes ticked by, or maybe they were hours already. What time was it? Around midnight? Close to morning?

He half wondered where the others were. If they were okay. What they were doing. Had Misono and Tetsu found Hugh? Had they all found the way out? What would happen to Tsurugi? He wondered if they would come here. If they would come looking for him and find him here and sit with him, waiting for news.

Then again, right now he didn't want that, he realized. He'd rather be all alone if he couldn't be with Kuro. He wanted to be with Kuro. To do what, he didn't know. If he could just sit by his side and wait until he woke up, he would be happy.

...Kuro would wake up, right?

Mahiru tried to banish that thought. Kuro would be fine, he tried to tell himself. He had always ended up fine. Kuro was strong, stronger than anyone else he knew. Kuro would manage.

And yet he couldn't shake the image of the bat cracking against his head, the blood on his face, on his clothes, on the floor. Kuro's body sinking to the floor and lying on the cold ground, motionless and unresponsive.

What if he wouldn't be fine? What if he had taken lasting damage? What if his life was in danger? What if his injuries were fatal?

The numbness faded. Mahiru's limbs began to tremble and shake. He didn't want to think of it. He didn't want to think of it. Kuro would be okay. Kuro had to be okay. If something happened to Kuro... if he wouldn't be the same anymore... if he was gone... what would he do? Kuro had become such an important part of his life. Kuro had become his best friend, his support, his home to return to. His comfort. Who would comfort him if Kuro wasn't there? Who would make a sarcastic remark to calm down his panicking mind?

Who would sit next to him in class? Who would sleep in until he woke him up in the morning and they went to school together? Who would spontaneously invite himself into his room and just sit there playing video games, offering silent company? Who would eat potato chips and leave crumbs on his bed no matter how much he complained? Who would eat meals with him? Who would study with him? Who would send him bad jokes and YouTube videos at ten in the evening?

Who would he love with all his heart?

Mahiru closed his eyes. Kuro's face flashed in front of his mind, over and over, in a thousand different situations. Kuro lazing around in his room the first time they met, not happy to be disturbed. Kuro sleeping on his desk in class. Kuro glancing uneasily to the side, awkward and embarrassed. Kuro giving him an amused glance, his eyes twinkling with mischief. Kuro looping an arm around him and smiling as they watched the fireworks.

Kuro's face shadowed by a silent rage, his eyes dark with fury. Kuro gasping for breath, his eyes wide and blank, his face deathly pale and distorted by an invisible horror. Terrifying, yet terrified. Or maybe the other way around. And yet still his Kuro. It was all part of him. The terror, the violence, the nightmarish faces. They were all Kuro. Mahiru had known that for a long time, but he loved him anyway.

Should he have told him that?

Now that he had waited for so long, would he ever get another chance? Would he ever be able to let Kuro know how important he was to him, how loved and treasured, how much happiness he deserved?

And what if not?

Mahiru's breath hitched. He was shaking. Shaking. His body, his mind... Every part of him was afraid, panicking. The situation had caught up with him at last. It was no longer a haze. It was real now, real and painfully and frighteningly alive.

What now? What now? What now?

He didn't want to sit here. He didn't want to wait and do nothing. He wanted to jump up and move. Do something. Help somehow. Even if he knew he couldn't. Anything seemed better than silently waiting here in this room until someone finally bothered to tell him how Kuro was doing.

And yet what could he do? Where could he go? What use was he now?

Mahiru jumped up, pacing back and forth. His hands were shaking. His mind was spinning. Kuro. Kuro. Kuro. He wanted to see Kuro. He needed to see Kuro. No matter what state he was in. Where was he? Where had they taken him? What were they all doing?

"Oh, there you are."

Mahiru stopped walking. In the door to the waiting room stood a nurse, maybe the same person who had brought him here earlier, maybe someone else. "I've been looking for you," she said. "You don't happen to know the contact information of his family, do you?"

---

Misono ran down the corridor, his hand already extended towards the doorknob, his breath coming in gasps. Over there, the nurse had said. The room straight ahead. If he entered that one, he would find them both.

And now, on the last few feet, his steps faltered. Little by little he came to a stop, standing in front of the door with his hand still extended halfway towards the doorknob.

He wanted to go in, he knew he did. He shouldn't be standing out here hesitating, struggling to gather his courage. What was he afraid of? It was just Tetsu and Hugh. His friends and companions. It wasn't like he was intruding or anything.

And yet he was scared, somehow. Scared of going in there and what he would find. Scared of standing next to Tetsu and not knowing what to say, because there was simply nothing appropriate to say in this situation. He felt like he would be a nuisance, a disruption. Like Tetsu needed to be alone right now, and he would only make him worse.

Except... Tetsu wasn't like that, he knew. And this situation wasn't like that. In a situation like this there was nothing worse than being alone.

Tetsu needed someone right now. And, as Shirota might say, that someone might as well be him.

So he gave a gentle knock, waited and then slowly opened the door.

Hugh lay in a hospital bed, motionless, attached to an IV and several monitors. He was still unconscious but no longer as ghostly pale as before; if it hadn't been for everything else that had gone down he might have looked like he was sleeping. Tetsu was curled up in a chair by the bedside, looking oddly small as he lifted his head to glance up at Misono.

"What's up," he said in a quiet, monotone voice.

Misono closed the door behind him, stepping up to the side of his chair with a small sigh. "A few things," he said. "Most of the others are fine. Kuro was hit by a baseball bat and brought here, Shirota went with him. The police is all over the grounds of that building, questioning and detaining people. Hopefully this will put an end to Tsubaki's group now." He glanced at Hugh. "What about you?"

"...not too great." Tetsu pulled his knees closer to his chest, his voice even quieter than before. "They said he got an overdose of some sleeping drug, but that's gonna be fine now. But..." He swallowed. "His back. He broke it when they threw him down those stairs... and..." For a second his voice wavered, as if threatening to break. "And... they're not sure if he can ever walk again."

Misono caught his breath. Something heavy got stuck between his throat and his chest, blocking his airways and strangling his voice. If only there was something he could say. If only there was something he could do. But there was nothing. Nothing except hollow phrases, the platitude that at least, whatever else happened, Hugh would be alive.

Broke his back. That was a heavy verdict. And the uncertainty that came from it was even heavier. Would Hugh walk out of this hospital in a few weeks' time, hobbling on crutches but soon to be fine? Would he heal in time but be limited in his movements? Or would he be left without use of his legs, unable to continue his life the way he had before?

And if the latter was the case... what would he do? What would any of them do?

This is my fault.

The thought flinched through his mind in a flash, and he had nothing to combat it. It was true. He knew it was. If he had thought further ahead, if he hadn't made the wrong assumptions, if he hadn't miscalculated... none of this would ever have happened.

"Tetsu... I..." His voice came out raspy, but at least he could speak now. He knew what he had to say. He understood at last.

"I'm sorry."

Tetsu lifted his head, wide-eyed and blinking. For the first time since reaching the hospital an emotion crossed his face other than pain, worry and regret. "Sorry?" he asked softly. "What are you sorry for?"

"This... This is my fault." Misono spoke fast, as if to get it over with quickly. "I made a miscalculation and assumed Tsubaki was only after Shirota and Kuro. I sent you into the trap. Had I thought more thoroughly and considered that possibility instead of going by assumptions... none of this would have happened."

"You did fine."

Tetsu hung his head again, burying it between his knees. "Your plan was okay," he said. "We all would've made that mistake. It's just that Hugh and I couldn't do what you wanted."

Misono gave a start. "That's not–"

"It's true." Tetsu turned his head, peering up at Misono and attempting a smile that fell flat. "You did nothing wrong. If we could've captured big bro Mahiru before he freed himself like you planned, none of this would've happened."

"You're wrong."

The words escaped Misono's lips like an exclamation of pain. His chest and eyes were burning. The anguish and frustration at Tetsu's words, his emotions burned furiously in his veins, too strong, too powerful and overwhelming to contain inside his small body, this uselessly tiny body that couldn't even fight and protect them all. "Please stop saying these things," he burst out, grabbing Tetsu's arm and digging his fingers into it, gripping it hard as tears threatened to sting at the corners of his eyes. "Please stop thinking them. You are not to blame for anything that happened to Hugh, Tetsu. It was beyond your control. Tsubaki outsmarted us all by miles and leagues. Had he not foreseen my strategy, we would all be safe now." He took a shaky breath. "You did well," he said. "Believe me."

Tetsu blinked in surprise, then his eyes clouded over, and his face disappeared behind his arms as he rested his hand on Misono's, his long fingers gently intertwining with Misono's small, delicate ones. "I'm trying to believe you," he said quietly. "You're smart. You know stuff like that. But... it just..." His voice threatened to crack again, and he cleared his throat. "Never mind. It's fine."

"Tetsu–"

"It's fine," Tetsu said again, as if to reaffirm himself. "I'm fine. We just gotta wait till... they know more, I guess." Again his voice failed him, and he swallowed thickly, pausing for a long moment before he could continue.

"Can you stay like this for a sec?" he asked. "It's just nice... not being alone, and everything."

"Tetsu."

He tensed. Very slightly, almost unnoticeably, Misono caught his shoulders trembling.

"What are you doing this for?" he asked, leaning down to the level of Tetsu's bowed head, fixing him with his eyes even though his face was hidden. "The battle is over. So why are you still forcing yourself and attempting to be strong?"

Tetsu froze. His arms tightened around his knees. "I–"

"Hugh is unconscious and will not wake up in the next few hours." Misono motioned towards the bed. "And no one else is here except for me. There is no one you have to be strong for." His voice turned gentle, his free hand brushing over Tetsu's in the hint of a soft caress. "You can show your feelings. There is no shame in it."

For a few slow, silent heartbeats, Tetsu didn't move at all.

Then he stirred. Little by little he uncurled himself where he sat, lifting his head and lowering his knees until his feet touched the ground. His expression was no longer one of forced calm. Instead it was raw emotion, fear, pain and guilt all etched deeply into his features, his lips trembling and shaking as tears welled up in his eyes.

"I'm so scared, Misono," he whispered, his voice crumbling and falling to bits as he spoke. "I know he's gonna live, but... what if he can never live the same way again? He loves running around so much. And jumping, he's always been so proud of his jumping skills... and climbing, and striking poses... If he can never use his legs again, what's he gonna do? How will he live without doing so much he loves? And I still feel like... like I could've done something... like I could've prevented it... but I didn't, Misono. I couldn't protect him." Blue eyes met with Misono's own, helpless and desperate and pleading for comfort, filled to the brim with tears that threatened to spill on his cheeks. "I'm so scared..."

A sob escaped Tetsu's lips, and he fell forward, wrapping his arms around Misono's back and burying his face in his shirt. "I didn't want this," he rasped out. "I knew it was dangerous, but... I just wanted to help... I never thought Hugh would... Hugh would..."

His voice failed him. Sobs took hold of him, shaking his body as he clung to Misono's back, hot tears seeping into the fabric of his shirt. Misono didn't know what to answer. All he could do was wrap his arms around him, gently holding him until the sobbing subsided.

"Don't worry," he said at last, his own voice choked up and raspy. "Hugh is strong. One way or another, he will be fine."

Tetsu sniffled and tried to nod.

Quiet minutes passed. Hugh didn't stir in his hospital bed. Neither of them moved.

"Better now?" Misono ventured at last.

"A little bit." Tetsu snuggled closer against Misono's chest. "Thanks, Misono. I'm glad you're here."

Misono couldn't fight a smile even as he felt like crying. "That's what friends are for," he said. "Weren't you the one who told me the same thing after what happened to Lily?"

Tetsu didn't reply, but Misono had the slight feeling that he, too, was smiling against his shirt.

"Yeah, you're right," he mumbled at last. "And it helps. So just... stay like this a little longer."

---

"Contact information?" Mahiru heard himself say, his voice jarringly stable for the panic that had flooded him at the nurse's words. "His family? Why, what happened– is he okay?"

"We can't say for sure yet," the nurse replied. "We've done what we can, but we need his personal data, his name and insurance and the names of his guardians, if he still has any. He's still a minor, isn't he?"

Mahiru nodded.

"Then we need to contact them," she said. "Do they live far from here? It might be good to have his family come and visit."

"A...bout that... I..."

The nurse glanced at him. Mahiru swallowed, remembering what Kuro had told him about his countless guardians, endlessly switching, the way the most recent ones had simply dumped him off at this boarding school and not even wanted him to come home for summer break. Not that he would tell her any of that, of course. But it still mattered now.

"I don't think they'll come."

"Hey, now... We shall see about that." The nurse tried to smile, an expression Mahiru couldn't return despite his efforts. "For now we need a way to contact them somehow. Do you know his home phone number or something?"

Mahiru was aboutt to say no when something flashed through his memory and he gave himself a push. "I'm a class representative," he said. "I have everyone's home numbers. But I don't know his parents' names."

"Just the number's fine," she said. "We can do the rest."

Pulling out his phone, Mahiru dug through his images until he found the list of phone numbers he had snapshotted and saved just in case, dictating it to the nurse and then watching as she walked out of the room and silence fell once more. His phone showed several missed calls from Lily and one from Licht, as well as a series of text messages. He ignored them all. Right now he wasn't in the mood to talk to the others and explain what had happened. He didn't want them. He wanted Kuro, and Kuro he couldn't have. Not yet, at least.

Time and space lost all meaning. For many eternities Mahiru sat there, waiting, waiting, his thoughts going round and round and round in circles. Couldn't say for sure yet, the nurse had told him. She didn't know if Kuro would be fine. No one knew yet. When would they know? Would Kuro make it out safe and sound? Would he make it out at all? Or was this the end of his story that seemed to have only just begun?

What should he have done?

The question haunted him, but he found no answer. Only more questions, more doubts. More thoughts that weighed down his heart, agonizing him and yet leaving him unable to move an inch until the door opened again.

"You can come see him now," the nurse said, and Mahiru was on his feet almost before she had finished the sentence. "He's alive but still unconscious. We don't know how long he'll stay that way, but maybe the voice of a loved one can help bring him back."

Mahiru gave a nod, too overwhelmed to speak as he followed her through the brightly lit hospital hallways. She seemed to sense his agony, because she sped up her pace, and Mahiru gave her a grateful look as he hurried alongside her until they both came to a stop at one of many closed doors.

"He's in here," the nurse said as she opened the door. "I'll be back to check in on him as soon as I can. If anything's the matter, ring the bell."

Mahiru stepped inside, closing the door behind him. The room was bright with a clinically white light, everything inside it harshly outlined in all its details. Two beds stood there, one on each side, the window-curtains closed to keep out the blackness of the night outside. One of the beds was empty. In the other, however, quietly rested a familiar figure.

"Kuro!" Mahiru burst out, stumbling to the side of his bed, bending over him. Kuro's face was pale. Sickly pale, but alive. His eyes were closed as if he was sleeping, his cuts and bruises cleaned, the look of pain and exhaustion finally faded from his features. He looked calm now, peaceful even. As if he enjoyed lying there unconscious, unaware of the pains and fears and bruises of the world around him. The only sign that something was wrong was the large cast around his head.

Slowly, softly, Mahiru sat down by the side of the bed, his eyes never leaving Kuro's face as if hoping for him to wake up at any second. Silence fell between them. The only sound was the quiet beeping of the machines all around Kuro's bed.

Mahiru wanted to say something, but nothing felt right. Nothing he could possibly say could even come close to what he was feeling, the thoughts, the fears, the love and regret. There was so much he wanted to tell him. There was so much Kuro deserved to hear. And yet no matter how much he tried, he couldn't find the right words to say.

The nurse's words came back to his mind, half worried, half hopeful. We don't know how long he'll stay that way, but maybe the voice of a loved one can help bring him back. He needed to say something. Anything. No matter what.

So thinking simply... he should start by calling his name.

"Kuro," he called, his voice quiet and yet unnaturally loud in the silence. "Hey... Kuro?"

No answer. Kuro didn't stir.

"Kuro... Kuro, can you hear me?"

Nothing. Not even a movement, a hitching breath. Mahiru's words fell on nothing and slowly faded away into the unrelenting silence of the room.

Little by little the reality of the situation sank into his heart. Kuro wasn't responding. The nurse had told him the voice of a dear one might help bring him back. Mahiru had called him, and it hadn't helped. Kuro was still unconscious. And there was nothing he could do about it.

He couldn't help Kuro. The thought felt cold, biting and gnawing at his insides and tearing and freezing them up. He wanted to fight it off, but there was nothing he could battle it with. It was right. He couldn't help Kuro. He had brought him into this situation, and now he couldn't get him out. All he could do was sit here by the side of his bed and rely on other people to help things get better.

Just like he always had from the very beginning.

Mahiru swallowed and gritted his teeth, but there was no escape from the tears shooting furiously into his eyes. This was his fault, he thought. It was all his fault. Kuro had thrown himself into this battle because of him. Kuro had taken the hit meant for him. Mahiru had run out to protect Tsurugi even though he barely knew how to fight himself, and this had been the price. He should never have done it. He should never have taken on a task he wasn't able to complete and then relied on Kuro to set things right.

Just like he always had in fight. Every single time he had jumped in without thinking. And every single time he had counted on Kuro to somehow get him out again. Without Kuro he would have been finished long ago.

It had only been a matter of time until something like this happened.

"Kuro," he rasped out, his voice cracking and breaking as he searched for Kuro's hand under the covers, hot tears blurring his vision and leaving him blind. "Kuro, I'm sorry... I'm so, so sorry!"

Kuro still didn't respond, and Mahiru bent over his sleeping form, his shoulders shaking as the first teardrops fell down onto the covers, leaving dark stains on the white fabric. "I was so stupid," he said. "For all this time I always wanted to protect people, help people, do the right thing... I thought I was doing it right. I thought I was doing something good. But I... I was wrong. For all this time I never did a thing."

No answer came, and Mahiru wasn't waiting for one anymore. Words came tumbling out like a flood, unholdable, unstoppable, like breaking through floodgates that had been opened. "I'm so sorry, Kuro," he said again, burying his face in the blanket, fingers digging into the fabric. "I thought I was doing the right thing... but it was all you. I've only come this far because you kept saving me over and over again and I never did anything. All I did was rely on you and call it being partners. And you were struggling... all by yourself... and I never even noticed until now, I never realized how hard it was for you... and now I just... you're here and you need my help, and I can't even help you... I..." A frustrated sob shook his body. "I can't do anything!"

Tears were streaming down his face, soaking the blanket, and he didn't care. Mahiru cared about nothing anymore. "This is all my fault," he managed out between the sobs that took hold of him, shaking him like an earthquake. "I should never have run out there to help Tsurugi-san. I should never have tried to play the hero. I can't play the hero yet. I'm not strong enough. I got it now." He hiccuped and sniffled. "Kuro, I... I won't do it again. Not till I can do it on my own, okay? So when you wake up, I promise I'll work on being a better partner. I'll get stronger with you. For you. Okay? So please..."

He lifted his arms to protect his head as if that would help him get rid of the pain, burying and hiding his face behind them to shut out sight and sound. "Please..." he said again, breathless, tear-stained and sobbing. "Please... please wake up..."

"...can't deal..."

Mahiru paused in his sobs, holding his breath. Had he imagined the voice? It had been so quiet, almost inaudible. Was he dreaming already? Had he misheard?

Something heavy came to rest on his head, heavy and warm, brushing awkwardly but gently through his hair. "You're getting the covers wet," said a familiar voice. "What a pain."

There was no doubting it this time. And yet it couldn't be.

"Kuro?" Mahiru ventured, quietly, hesitantly, his voice still broken as he lightly began to lift his head. "Kuro, are you awake?"

The hand in his hair paused and disappeared. "How could I not be, with you crying your eyes out on the bedside."

Mahiru shot upright. In a hasty gesture he wiped his eyes, searching for the face on the pillow, the voice that had reached him in the middle of his despair. "Kuro!" he burst out, laughing and crying all at once. "You woke up... you really did!"

"Don't make such a big deal about it, I've had worse." Kuro scratched his cheek, averting his eyes before awkwardly glancing back at Mahiru. "You look like a mess."

"Sorry." Sniffling, Mahiru wiped his face and pulled out a handkerchief to blow his nose. "I'm just... I thought... they told me they didn't know when you'll wake up, and I just..." His voice trailed off.

"Hey, relax. You're gonna start crying again."

"You're right, sorry. I just..." Mahiru laughed, but it turned into half a sob despite the huge smile on his face. "I'm kind of overwhelmed right now. I'm so glad you're okay..."

Kuro blinked up at him with wide eyes, round and red and full of amazement. Another laugh welled up from Mahiru's chest. He looked more like himself again. The shadow that had fallen over his face in the past few days had faded, and he looked almost happy now, lying there with his head all taped up and his hand on top of the blanket. "You were... that worried about me?"

Mahiru nodded furiously. "Of course! A hit like that could've killed you! What the hell were you–" He stopped mid-sentence, shaking his head. "No, I'm not scolding you this time. It was my fault." He smiled. "Thank you, Kuro. You probably saved my life."

"I... did?"

"Yeah. And I was so furious at myself because I brought you in this situation and I couldn't even help you." Mahiru took his hand. "I won't do that again, okay? I'll learn to protect you and fight side by side with you. You know, like a real partner."

Kuro didn't answer. He didn't move his hand either. And suddenly their last few conversations came back to Mahiru, the discussions, their confrontation in the classroom. He hesitated. His grip on Kuro's hand loosened abruptly.

"I mean..." he said, backing away and staring at anything except Kuro's face. "I know you wanted to end our friendship, but... I don't want that. I don't want to leave your side. And I don't want you to leave mine either. I'm not me without you anymore." He lowered his gaze. "So, you know, if you insist on parting ways I respect that, but if you'll still have me..."

Before he could go on Kuro's hand closed around his own, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"What a pain," Kuro mumbled into the blanket. "Looks like I can't leave you alone anymore. You get in trouble even without me around."

Mahiru glanced up to find his cheeks flushed and his face averted, and a smile spread over his features once more. "Thank you so much! I promise I'll do my best to stay out of trouble from now on." He laughed. "No more following Tsubaki anywhere. And if I learn how to fight, I'll learn it from you. No more lessons with Tsurugi-san. Deal?"

Maybe he imagined it, but for a split second Kuro's lips seemed to curve into the tiniest hint of a smile.

"Okay," he mumbled, still not meeting Mahiru's eyes. Then he took a deep breath, seemingly hesitating, working up his courage before he continued. "And Mahiru?"

"Yeah?"

"After I get released... come to my room sometime. I got a story to tell you."

---

"Well," Hyde said around a yawn, "at least big brother Kuro woke up again, huh? That's one bit of good news after this nightmare of a night."

Next to him Licht stretched his legs and shrugged. "Did you doubt it, hedgehog?"

"Why, of course I did! Angel-chan, do you know how dangerous a baseball bat to the head can be? He could've died!" Hyde slumped back and sighed. "Not everyone has your optimism, you know?"

"This isn't optimism. I just know." Licht crossed his arms. "They're all gonna be okay. I told you so from the beginning."

"Well, one of them is now! The other's still in danger!"

"He'll be fine."

"What if he won't?"

"Don't believe my angelic senses?"

"I was just telling you–" Trailing off, Hyde groaned and raked his hands through his hair. "Never mind, we can't change it anyway. All we can do is wait." He glanced at Licht and cracked a small smile. "Well, at least we're both okay this time, right, Angel-chan?"

Licht didn't answer. He only stared at him with a strange intensity, as if he had found something most engaging and unusual on his face.

"Uh..." Squirming under the gaze, Hyde felt his face heat up. "Lichtan? What's the ma–"

He was interrupted by a hand on his collar and something smashing roughly against his lips.

Hyde froze. For a split second his mind blanked, his eyes darting from side to side as if searching for an explanation. There was only one, of course. And yet it couldn't be real. He couldn't believe it. It made no sense.

He had to be hallucinating. Yes, that was it. But then again– should a hallucination feel this real?

Was Licht actually kissing him?

Faster than his mind could react, Licht pulled away, looking completely unfazed as he rose from his seat and headed towards the door. "I'm heading back," he said. "I'm tired."

"Li– Li– Lichtan, wait!"

Licht turned around. Hyde felt his face flush. Damn it, he was shaking. Words stopped making sense in his head, turning into a messy jumble and escaping his grip whenever he tried to put them into some kind of order. There was so much he wanted to ask him and he didn't even know what tone to use. Did he want to yell at him? Accuse him of something? Cheer?

He didn't know, and in the end all that came out was, "What the hell was that, Angel-chan?"

"No idea." Licht didn't bat an eye as he shrugged, turning to leave again. "I just felt like it." There was a pause, then he turned again, half defensively glaring over his shoulder. "Did you mind?"

Hyde genuinely didn't know what to reply to that.

---

It must have been hours since the end of the battle. For hours and hours Sakuya had been hiding here, barely out of sight, watching the blue lights and police cars and ambulances, hearing the sirens, the raised voices as, one by one, their gang members were all either carried or dragged away. Berukia, Shamrock and Otogiri had all been taken to the hospital. Lilac had disappeared out of sight. And still there wasn't a single trace of where Tsubaki had gone.

Over and over Sakuya had tried to call him, to no avail. His phone was turned off, and his calls didn't go through. He hadn't been among the injured or the arrested either. He must have escaped in some way. But how?

Where was he now, all alone, separated from his gang?

Goodbye, Sakuya. If it wasn't for these words Sakuya would have gone back to the dorms and looked for him there. But going by that text he wouldn't find him anywhere near the school. Tsubaki must have known what would happen. He must have gone into hiding, probably plotting how to get the others out of the mess they had all ended up in.

But what on earth was he supposed to do all by himself?

Sakuya sighed. This was stupid. All of it was. And he was stuck out here trying and trying to call Tsubaki's number and unable to reach him or do anything.

It looked like all he could do for now was wait. He hated situations like that. And yet he had no choice.

Putting his phone back in his pocket, he walked out of his hiding-place and began the long, lonely way back to the dorms.