Chapter Twenty-Eight: Butt-tape

"Okay, Alicia definitely picked that dress out."

I stood in front of the mirror after getting help from Alicia, and then from a professional in doing my hair and makeup. My hair had been put in a loose bun, where strands of hair fell all around my face. My makeup was mostly natural which I liked, with shiny highlights and a blue eye-shadow, to match my dress.

"What is that supposed to mean? I asked, turning around to face Clarke, putting my hands on my hips.

I knew what he meant, I was just playing dumb. Alicia spent nearly twenty minutes convincing me to get the dress because it made me look good, and it was definitely not something I would normally wear. It was a light blue dress that had a holster top that formed around my body, but it was the back that made the dress, because there was literally no back. Like my whole back was exposed, like nearly everything.

"How did she convince you into that? Cause it's safe to say I know you by now, and you would never wear this," Clarke said, looking me up and down.

"You know, I've always wondered how women wear dresses like this, without it falling off their ass. I know the answer now. Its tape, double sided tape. Butt tape," I said, looking down at my dress.

"I...would've never have guessed," Clarke blinked. "Don't get me wrong, I like it on you."

I rolled my eyes a little at him. "Yeah, well it took her forever to convince me, and if you're not careful I could change my mind."

"Oh, no, please don't do that," Clarke said quickly, stepping close to me. "I will be nice to know if that if I get stressed out, all I'll have to do is look over at you and it'll calm me down."

I felt myself blush. Oh God, I had never blushed with him before, what was wrong with me? Usually his words were...well, just words.

"Well, we better go," I said quickly, kind of breaking the moment between us. "You wouldn't want to be late."

"No, you're right. The car is outside."

I put my shoes on and grabbed the clutch Alicia also insisted on me getting. The car ride to the event Alicia seemed very excited and I kept noticing Clarke looking at me, but it didn't take me long to realise he couldn't do that all night long. He needed to look at Alicia like that all night long, she was supposed to be his girlfriend, and no one could know what Clarke and I were.

Once we got to the event it was way bigger than Paris. There was an actual red carpet and actual people with cameras, yelling out people's names and snapping photos of people as they walked by. Unsurprisingly, they yelled at Clarke and Alicia to pay attention, and they stood together and got some photos. I stood there and watched then for a minute, and I realised how good Alicia was at taking photos.

"Is there actual celebrities here?" I asked Clarke as we entered the building.

"What do you call Alicia?" Clarke joked.

I rolled my eyes. "I mean, why is there so much press?"

"This is LA, there's some big names here," Clarke shrugged. "Is that okay?"

"Oh, yeah, it's fine. Just didn't expect so many people here," I muttered but he didn't hear me.

Why was I so naïve to how in the spotlight Clarke was? Was it because he hadn't been in the tabloids that much lately or was it because I hadn't been around that. Those thoughts escaped me as we walked into the event room which was huge. There was a live band on the stage, currently playing something quite soothing. There were waiters walking around holding those tiny little bite sized foods, and others with champagne, and there was definitely an open bar in the back.