1. THE NEW GUY

MAGGIE SMILED at the ten year old boy, tying off the last of his stitches

                         MAGGIE SMILED at the ten year old boy, tying off the last of his stitches. "You took that like a champ, Luca. I'm proud," she commented, reaching into her lab coat pocket. "I think that means you get..." In her fingers was a package, and in the package was a Hulk action figurine. Luca smiled so wide, his brown eyes wide in excitement. "Hulk!" he shouted, immediately being shushed by his mother. "That's right! Hulk!" Maggie handed over the package, patting the small child on his shoulder. "I'll be back when his scans come in," she directed her statement to Luca's mother, Mrs. Adamson. "Okay, thank you, Dr. Harper," she spoke softly. "Yeah, thanks, Dr. Maggie!" Maggie smiled once again, her dimples popping out in her cheeks. "No problem." She turned, exiting the room. Outside by the nurse's desk was Dr. Piper Hall, her pregnant belly poking out prominently underneath her dark blue scrubs. "Pipes," she cooed, walking up right behind the woman. Her hand put pressure on the woman's back, her green eyes staring deeply into the General Surgeon's own sienna eyes.

                         "I know, I know. But I have approximately eight weeks before this baby pops out. I can at least check in on my patients." Piper looked back at the strawberry blonde, her hand rubbing circles against her own belly. "How's Zack Huron?" she asked, referring to her appendectomy from three days ago. "He's fine, Pipes. You really need to go home." The five three doctor, who sported brightly colored roller skates, pried the charts from her pregnant friend's hands. "I've got this. And so does Dr. Bailey. You know she doesn't mind." Her perfectly sculpted eyebrows rose at the mention of Bailey's name. "Dr. Webber didn't fight her for them? That's a shock." The two chuckled at the thought. They were obviously very competitive surgeons, especially against each other. "Well, I don't know. Last time I checked, Bailey had them. After Denny, I wouldn't be surprised if Richard takes over," Maggie explained, her eyes falling onto the floor. "I still can't believe he's gone, you know? I never worked with him, but he was always here. There was no way I wouldn't have seen him," Piper explained, running her fingers across her outward sticking belly button. "God, and Dr. Bailey. She practically oversaw every single one of his visits."

                         "Get back to work, losers," Abigail Hunt hummed, passing the two. "Oh, Abs. I need a consult. Callie is super busy–" Abigail turned, raising her eyebrows. "And you think I'm not? Jesus, Mags. I'm an Ortho god for crying out loud." Piper laughed aloud, shaking her head. "Yeah, right. If anyone is a surgical god, it's Shepherd. He basically believes it anyway," Piper chimed in, causing both women around her to roll their eyes. "It's his hair. I hear it holds secrets," Maggie joked, picking up a chart. "I'll page you when I get his scans. Thanks, Abby!" She skated down the linoleum floor, swinging into another open room. "Hey, Christy," she spoke softly, her green eyes sparkling. The cancer ridden patient lay in her bed, her arms wrapped around her favorite stuffed bear. Maggie had taken it upon herself to make a hospital gown for her bear, also. She even made him a medical bracelet. "She hasn't thrown up all morning, Dr. Harper. Is that any improvement?" her mother asked hopeful, her fingers running over the young girl's pale arm. Maggie scooted closer, her fingers flying over the keyboard next to the bed. "Well, it is a good thing," she hummed, scanning the data.