What Could Have Been

Only hours ago the Republic and the Separatists had signed a peace treaty on the neutral world of Mandalore, bringing an end to almost five years of devastating war. Only time would tell if the peace would last, but this was a start.

Obi-Wan was naturally pragmatic. All these years of fighting, he'd continued on with the belief that he was doing the right thing and if he kept on fighting that one day the Republic would win the war. But determination was different from hope, from the belief that change would actually happen. That peace could come again.

And now, despite himself, he really felt like this was a turning point. Something in the Force reassured him, telling him, 'Set down your weapon, soldier. You've made it home.'

So when a familiar figure pushed through the crowd of revelers and joined him at the balcony overlooking the city, he let himself smile with all the warmth that he felt. He let his eyes linger on the flowers in her hair.

"I thought I might find you here, General," she said, a glimmer in her eyes.

"Don't call me that," he said, speaking without thinking.

"Oh?" He'd caught her by surprise.

Hopefully he wouldn't carry that title for much longer. It's not that the role weighed on him, in fact he'd stepped into it more naturally than he'd expected, but now things were shifting.

He didn't want to get ahead of himself, so he said simply, "You can call me Obi-Wan when it's just the two of us, Satine."

She barely moved but something about her posture seemed to soften.

"Obi-Wan, then. Aren't you going to ask me to dance?"

He glanced around. Everywhere he looked, the party was in full swing. Beings of all species danced and waved streamers. Fireworks exploded overhead. Even the clones were caught up in the festivities.

"No," he said, savoring her surprised expression.

"Actually," he leaned a little closer, "I was hoping we could go someplace quiet."

Satine looked back at him, a hint of a question in her eyes. When he didn't look away, she gave him a little smile that made his stomach flip.

"I know the perfect spot," Satine said softly, slipping her hand into his and leading him away.