Chapter Fifty Two

Calin entered the circle, pulling me back two steps so that I stood by his side. I looked down to the broken strap of Maible's mask and glanced over my shoulder to see Maible nearly in tears, a scratch just below her right eye glowing red under the dim lighting. Clenching my teeth together, I glared back at Duvessa, wanting to hit Calin for keeping me from hitting her—again.

"Aw, look," Duvessa cooed and smiled at her friends, all who were still wearing masks and laughed on cue. "Calin is saving me from the mutt."

"No, I'm not," he said. "I want Nora to put you in your place, but this is not where that is going to happen. You might have baited her by picking on Maible, but I won't let you trap her into doing something she'll get expelled for."

"And do you make all her decisions for her?"

"I'm the only reason you aren't nursing wounds right now, Duvessa, but please. Keep it up. Nora isn't the only one ready to lose their patience with you, and we both know you won't get away with framing me. But, if you aren't sure about that, or you're stupid—both fit, actually—test me. I dare you. Let's see how many people take my side against yours. I mean, the blame will be cast based on what witnesses say happened, right?" He tilted his head and smiled. "How do you imagine that'll work out for you?"

"You aren't God's gift, Calin."

I snorted. "But you want him to be yours."

Duvessa snapped her glare to me and Maible choked, trying to keep from laughing. Calin let his amusement loose, not giving a damn about niceties. But then, Duvessa was always a good target for a chuckle, and if the roles were reversed, I would have done the same.

"Excuse me?" she stuttered.

"I said you wish Calin was your gift," I said, deliberately drawing out my speech so she would understand. "You keep trying so hard to get that pretty little bow and tag with your name on him, you can't even see that everything you do and say just pushes him away. I mean, is there a level of emotion beyond hate? Despise? No, those are the same, but you get the point, yes?" I leaned forward. "Calin doesn't want you."

"So now you speak for him?" She rolled her eyes but swallowed hard. "You can't tell him how to feel."

I smiled. Calin opened his mouth to respond but kept quiet when I shook my head. Thankfully, no teachers were serving drinks and all but two students outside of Duvessa's group of friends had noticed our huddle enough to be interested in what any of us said—or did. I was sure what I was about to do would make its rounds through gossip speedy-quick. Could I get expelled for doing something off school property?

"Would you like him to tell you or for me to give you an example?" I waved my hand towards Calin. "Aside from the fact that he isn't disagreeing, that is."

"I—"

Turning my back to Duvessa, I faced Calin and grabbed his cheeks in my hands, pulling him down. The kiss didn't last long, but it was far from chaste. When it finished, Calin paused and then placed another, quick but sweet, on my lips. Smiling, I held his gaze for a moment before facing a red-faced Duvessa.

"That enough proof, or would like to see more?"

"I wish you had died on that boat," Duvessa snarled, and her face contorted. Managing to surprise even her friends, she added, "You should be dead, nothing but fish food, or ash like your mother."

Calin reacted before I realized I started to, but he only had two hands. By keeping me from moving, he couldn't stop Maible. The tears that had been threatening to fall had faded, and she lunged. Full of anger, she slapped Duvessa across her face just as the DJ switched songs. The echo carried around the room and everyone turned to stare. A zip sounded, cutting off the new song at the beginning.

"You little—"

I pushed Calin to Maible. "Go help her."

He didn't hesitate, reaching Maible before Duvessa could retaliate and the rest of the room crowded in. The fun was over, and my distraction had arrived. While everyone was too busy fighting to notice, I stepped backward, edging my way out of the crowd. I didn't look away until the bar of the door at the back entrance hit my back, and then I sprinted away.

Night had fallen but the air remained cool, not too warm and not too cold. Perfect. I dug in my purse as I ran, using the full moon in the cloudless sky for light, and found my keys. Onyx and I had brought my car here this afternoon, knowing Calin would park in front, and hid it in the second row at the back of the hall. Then we'd run home, though Devland's suggestion nearly ruined my escape—you can't drive a car if it isn't there to use.

Waiting for a distraction hadn't taken long, at least, and dancing with Calin made the effort of getting ready worthwhile. But it still wasn't where I wanted to be. Would Calin be mad? Yeah, that was more of a certainty than a possibility, though I couldn't predict Maible's reaction. Maybe without my presence, Duvessa would smarten up, though I doubted it.

Still, I had to get away and give my chaperones the slip. By the time they noticed, I'd have already enjoyed my time alone. Jumping in my car, I fastened my seatbelt and roared out onto the road, leaving a trail of dust to settle as Agate Hall faded from view in my mirrors.