Chapter 3

The call came unexpectedly. "Hi, Detective Mandi. As everyone knows you are the best detective in the FBI, I would like to invite you to train our newest member of the NYDP, Molly Mackenzie," Chief Marshall Jackie had said. Of course, I agreed.

An hour later, I was at the NYDP headquaters, chatting with a very pretty young woman. She was eager to learn the many things of protecting the residents and people of the world. I took to her immediately, liking her attitude. She's like a little puppy," I thought to myself. She was also a fast learner, and learnt how to handle a firearm very quickly.

"Mackie...I can call you that, right?" I inquired. "Of courcs, Detective Lawrence," she beamed. "Call me Mandi. Anyway, it's time for lunch, and my stomach is making a racket. How bout we pop into Suzie's for a short break?" Mackenzie nodded. I informed Chief Marshall that we were going for lunch, and he asked to help him take a ham sandwich.

We worked into the night. "Meet you tommorrow, Mackie?" I asked. She shook her head, looking disappointed. "I'm...helping my family settle in to this new territory. We just moved here, you know?" I understood immediately. When my family just moved here, I was also unfamiliar and nervous...until that incident, when I strengthened. "Detective, are you okay?" I looked up to see Mackie's concerned face. "I'm fine. Just tired," I lied. I wasn't ready to tell anyone about this yet, though it had been a long time after that happened. "If you say so..." Mackie replied, unconvinced.

However, when she turned, I could have sworn that I saw her smirk. But a second later, it was gone. She waved at me, smiling brightly. I waved back. A gnawing dread filled me. I tried to push it down, but the effort was in vain. Was Mackie not what she seemed like?