THREE - HIM

Chapter 3

DAMIEN
______

"So, you don't want me to tell Marcus about the only person you've found within miles of this place?"

"No. I'm just going to check it out first and then report."

"Are you sure this has nothing to do with last night? Something... I don't know, involving nudity and peeping eyes and standing in the darkness like a perverted creep? Hm? Yes, no?"

Standing from my small tin bed, I tied my boots to give Eli a pointed look. "Are you forgetting who the investigator is, this is my job."

"You may be right, but don't stray too far. She's a beautiful woman, I saw her, and that may become a distraction for you."

Shook my head at Eli, I was a man of work. Not going to deny she was hot but, as my father always told me, business comes before pleasure. "Alright, thank you for your concern."

He threw his hands up in defense. "I'm just making sure, okay? Marcus is kinda a pushy guy.

"Tell him I saw movement in the woods and went to check it out. She has nowhere to go."

Eli nods in response and I step from the tent.

You could tell it was summer. The sun beamed through the trees, smacking my forehead immediately. It was hot. Eli took at second glance back at me as I slipped on a light raincoat and nodded at him. He might not have agreed with proceeding but nothing could be said.

The forest was humming of birds singing as leaves rustled from the animals above and below. The area was safe and I made sure of that with the perimeter alarm and the small device I held in my hand. I strapped it to my arm and began jogging soon after. The path from the night before looked far different in the day time. Most trees and bushes were unrecognizable. I glanced down in my Fitness watch, realizing just how far I wandered from camp.

That amount of jogging was normal, especially back at LuntFord City where I practiced strict fitness for these exact situations. Recognizing the thick trunk and studying my surroundings the house was perfectly placed where no one could see it, not even from the helicopter, and that was thanks to the various trees. It gave the illusion of more wilderness.

In the daytime, the home was dark brown with black painted trims and edges. My long legs ate the distance until I stood in front of the door, not wasting a moment, I knocked. It was frustrating, thoughts of at least see someone approaching from the other side but instead was faced with another wall so glancing inside was nearly impossible.

But she could see me, I analyzed. Oh, the area was exposed nonetheless. Noting my surroundings, the camera above my head and the peak-hole of the door, I plugged the second one with my finger. Having no idea why, I had to consistently remind myself this person was to be treated like my other clients. It led the person I wanted become, you'd be surprised who all falls into that trick.

I knocked for a second time.

Normally, people began guessing whether or not they're home at around the third or fourth knock but I had patience. Patience was a golden ticket of mine that worked when waiting for someone you wanted. If they knew you were there, in my instance, you'd have a better chance at gaining their trust than when you come off as hurried or bothered.

Besides, it's not as if she has anywhere to go...

Or did she?

My third knock was a bit hurried causing me to grunt. Here we are again, reminding myself of patience - a key aspect in investigating. I turned around, my eyes scanning the area as I combed my fingers through my hair when I heard the door click open.