Chapter 3

"So my Mum used to buy this show called, Friends, for me. At first I didn't had any interest in it because I couldn't understand a word from it. It was all English. But then there was like subtitles and eventually, I learned the language through it."

NJ and I somehow clicked and we kept sharing stories with one another about our past for several days already. I found out that he was from Korea, which I've never been to before; and he was here for vacation when it all happened. He got separated like everybody else did and somehow ended up getting to our camp.

We're on food search duty today and had to go out in to the city to grab whatever we could. NJ was with us as part of his training. Our leader, Lucas and one of the campers, Jackson followed. Both of them were already in front of us as we chit chatted behind.

I actually felt good because it reminded me of the past, where we're just talking like normal friends do without a care of dealing with zombies.

"Hey love birds! Hurry up!" Jackson shouted for us and I got annoyed.

"Keep your voice down! We don't need zombies chasing after us." I cried back and just when I finished that sentence, there was a growling sound nearby.

I turned to my left and a zombie was heading towards me. I took out my pocket knife and stabbed it into the head of the zombie as its smelly blood splattered to my face.

"God damn it, Jackson! It's all your fault!" I blamed as NJ and I rushed forward to join the boys. We finally entered the city and tons of zombies were roaming around like they owned it.

"Stay close." Lucas advised like always, before leading us to the route we've always used.

We hurried to the roof of the carpark and jumped across a few buildings before landing at the roof of the shopping mall.

"Just like always, meet here at sunset." Our leader reminded before we scattered for supplies.

"Follow me." I beckoned NJ as we jumped in to the mall through a cracked window. I sneaked behind a zombie and quickly stabbed its head before throwing it aside.

"Where are we going?" NJ asked.

"There's a 7-Eleven right across this mall that we could scavenge food from." I told him.

"How did you know?"

"Before we enter a new place, a runner will check out the hotspots and draw it on a map. That's how we know where all the food and necessities are." I explained as I kept going.

"I see...maybe later you can let me see the map?"

"Will do. Now keep quiet!" I scolded as I hurried down the broken escalator, spotting three zombies at the end of it.

The zombies growled at us when they heard our footsteps and came charging after us. With practiced hands, I quickly killed the first two while NJ killed the third one.

"Not bad." I nodded at the remarkable skill he had with the hammer.

"Of course." He panted and caught up with me. As we pass by a bookstore, NJ suddenly asked me to stop. "Can we check out real quick?"

"I doubt there's anything useful in a bookstore." I rolled my eyes at him.

"Please. Just one second." He pleaded desperately and headed in to the bookstore without waiting for me.

"H-hey!" I whispered after him. "What the hell do you want from a bookstore? It's all books here!"

However, NJ simply walked towards the CD section and stopped at one of the racks. He reached out to pick up an album that had a boy group on it. I leaned in from behind to take a peek.

"Holy shit! This is you isn't it?!" I couldn't believe my eyes and snatched the album away from him to take a closer look at the guy on the cover. My heart thumped when I saw how attractive NJ was on the album cover. There were six other good-looking guys with him as well. I wondered where were they?

IDOL. The word on the cover read.

"Why didn't you tell me you were an idol? Holy shit." I stared at him in amazement and disbelief.

Don't you recognise me?

His question on the first night flashbacked in my memory and I felt pity for NJ. From a person with a million fans, to a person who's just trying to survive in the apocalypse. Fuck.

//

End of chapter 3