One Shot

This is a one shot for @laughterandjynx 's The Last Virgin Standing. This takes place after chapter 39: Headlights, and in place of chapter 40 and 41.

---

Alternate ending:

Mom held my hand as we walked through the small field. My five-year-old self admired the tiny yellow flowers scattered throughout the field. One day, those little flowers would grow to be big yellow flowers that brightened even the tiniest part of the world with their beauty, just like I would one day.

When I was younger, I believed that I would marry a handsome man, have children, and then grandchildren. I always had a fantasy of my husband and I with gray hair, sitting on a porch, surrounded by our grandchildren. They would be running around like children do, and we would be remembering the times when that would be us.

I looked up at my mom as we stood; her hair was flowing in the wind, and her eyes were twinkling with happiness. It was perfect. My life was perfect.

Too bad none of it was reality.

Reality was what was happening now.

What was happening now was pain.

Pain ripping through my body and tearing it apart.

Apart from those I loved, and those who loved me.

Those who loved me would be waiting for me.

Waiting for me when the pain was over.

When the pain was over I would be all right.

I would be all right and could be grateful for the people I had.

The people I had that loved me, no matter what.

No matter what, this pain would end.

But what I didn't know, was the only thing worse than pain, was dark.

***

Dark

***

Dark

***

Dark

***

Dark

***

Nothing but dark

***

I came out of the dark, only to meet a different type of dark. A dark where you still couldn't see anything, but a dark where you could feel everything.

And feelings everything, meant feeling the pain and agony. It was everywhere.

From the tip of my toes, to the top of my head, there was burning hot fire, and searing cold ice raging and destroying me bit by bit. My breathing was ragged as I tried to concentrate on anything...anything but the pain that was tearing me apart.

But it was the only thing I could think about.

***

After what seemed like years, the never-ending darkness came back, shrouding the pain slightly. I knew that all I had to do was let the darkness fall over me and take me, but I wasn't ready to do that yet. There were still things I needed to do before I was ready to go.

It was that day, that I finally heard something other than my inner demons.

It was Luke.

"Charlie, I don't even know if you can hear me - the doctors say you haven't responded to them at all - but I needed to talk to you. I understand if you don't love me that way, because I love you, and as long as I know I have a place in your heart, I'm fine with it. Just...don't forget about me, wherever you are. Just know that, I love you." His voice was ragged, and there were sobs throughout his speech. "Charlie, this is all my fault. If I would have declared my love for you sooner, this whole mess could have been avoided. If I hadn't gone out to drive, if I hadn't had called you, you wouldn't be...dying."