End of the World

The halls were quiet, almost everything in the correct order. The almost complete silence was uncomfortable to some people, Lucy included. But she prefered the silence to people talking while reading. Ocean Park Library was one of her favourite spots, even the librarians knew what days she came in and at what times.

As Lucy checked out a few new books, her phone screen lit up. A message from her parents for her to call them. She said farewell to the librarian before leaving with her new books to read. As she swung her backpack on her shoulder, she called her mom.

"Mom? What's wrong?" she asked, holding her phone up to her ear. "Is everything okay?"
"Your father needs to speak with you," she said, almost on the verge of tears.
"Mom? What is it?" she said, almost yelling down the phone. No response. She could hear distant sounds, shouts and cries and distant engines.

"Honey, remember when I worked for some people called the Cooperative?"
"Yeah?" said Lucy, there was a sinking feeling in her chest.
"Well, in the case of Nuclear fallout, I got given a ticket for myself and I brought you and your mother one. Your mother and I..." he trailed off.
"Dad, I don't understand..." said Lucy. She paused for a moment and leaned against a lampost. "It's only half past twelve, I woke up just over an hour ago. I'm tired and confused. What's going on?"
"Ballistic missiles are going to hit over the world."

Lucy felt the phone slip from her grasp and it hit the floor. Quickly, she scrambled to pick it up. Thankfully the phone didn't break, it just gained an extra dent on its side.
"What?" she asked.
"We're not going to get to the airport in time to get to the shelter but you can. The missile is going to be sent in a few hours so you need to get to LA International Airport, okay? There'll be a plane there ready to take you to the shelter. I love you, okay? Don't forget that."
"We love you," her mom said. It was almost too quiet to hear but Lucy had stopped paying attention to anyone else.

There was silence from the other side of the phone as her parents hung up. For a moment, Lucy just stared at her phone. As the information sunk into her brain, she held her phone tightly and looked at the streets. At first, Lucy began jogging home but as adrenaline set it, she ended up sprinting to her front door.

After unlocking the door, she shoved it open and didn't bother shutting it. She emptied the contents of her bag only to stuff her charger, earphones and phone in there. She left the books on the floor but grabbed her purse. Running upstairs with her mostly open bag over one shoulder, she burst into her room and grabbed the photo album from in her draws. Next she grabbed her money box and emptied it onto the floor, grabbing the dollar bills and stuffing them inside her small purse. Deciding that the change wasn't worth sorting through, she headed to her jewellry box and took out her necklace. She slipped it over her head before hurrying to close the zip on her backpack. In the kitchen drawer, she found the envelope with the tickets in. She gently put them in the smaller pocket of her backpack so they wouldn't get crushed by anything else.

Feeling the energy vanish, Lucy sat on the floor at the foot of her bed for a few minutes before hauling herself to her feet and heading downstairs to get a drink. She tapped the counter as she quickly drunk the water. Looking at her open front door, she realised she'd have to leave now if she was going to get to the airport soon. Looking at her clock, she realised she'd need a taxi. It was already half past one.

Looking at her house, she fondly thought of some of the memories she had made in it with her friends and family before locking the front door. She couldn't waste anymore time reminiscing.

Time to get a taxi to the airport.

A relieved sigh escaped her lips as she leaned back in the plane. It was only a small plane and there was only one pilot, Jazmin, who preferred Jaz.
"We're going to take off soon," said Jazmin. Lucy looked away from the window to her pilot.
"Why is there only one of you?"
"The other is currently too drunk to even be near an airplane."
"That doesn't sound good," said Lucy. Jaz offered a sheepish smile.

"I'm Lucy, by the way. I feel a bit rude for not introducing myself earlier."
"It's fine," said Jaz. "You were distracted. We're going to take off in half an hour."
"Do you have a ticket?"
"For the Outpost?" asked Jaz. Lucy nodded, assuming that was the shelter. "No, I don't."
"What?" asked Lucy. "Why? You're... you're the pilot." The woman shrugged at her and Lucy bit her lip.

"You can have one of my parents' tickets," said Lucy. "They were in London so... yeah... but you can have one of the tickets." Jaz gasped.
"Really? You barely know me and... they're for your parents."
"Well, they're no good for my parents, you might as well use one," said Lucy with a sad smile on her face.
"Thank you."

As the plane flew through the air, she could see a ball of fire erupt from below. Closing her eyes, she let out a shaky breath and leaned back in her seat.

Was surviving really worth it if all she had knew was gone?