Chapter Nineteen

It was the first week in November with the crispness of frost lingering in the air, coating the trees in pale white crystals. Bryony huddled deeper into her coat, rubbing her mittens together.

"I was thinking the kitchen could go here," she said, outlining a box-shape with her hands. "So it would overlook the garden."

Sean sat beneath a giant elm tree, branches twisting and twining up toward the sky. A basket of leftover Samhain treats rested on the ground next to his knee. He pulled a thermos of hot apple cider out along with two sturdy earth-colored ceramic mugs.

"What makes you think you'll have a garden?" he said with a wry look. "I'm building you a house and you expect a garden, too?"

"I'll handle the garden. You just take care of the woodworking part with your brother."

"Yes, boss."

Bryony grinned and tucked her chin into the collar of her coat.

"I like it when you call me that," she said.

"I bet you do," Sean said with a laugh as he held out a cup of cider to her.

She accepted it, wrapping her hands around the warmth it provided. She settled down on the ground beside Sean and cuddled into his side. He draped an arm around her shoulder with a kiss to her temple.

After clearing things up with Sean, she had reconsidered her thoughts of leaving Pagan Posies. Instead, Naomi and Galen had offered a corner of the property for her to build on if she wanted it. A house of her own, whatever size and shape she desired, buried in the heart of the forest, surrounded by trees.

That way, she could still be close to the family. Her siblings could spend the night with her when she wanted them or she could have the house to herself when she needed time to be alone.

"Do you still plan to work somewhere besides Pagan Posies?" Sean said after a minute or two of silence.

Bryony shrugged. "I think it might be good for me. I've worked here since I was nine."

"What will you do instead?"

"Teach. I love my siblings but it's nice to work with other kids for a change."

She reached out and took his hand into her lap, tracing the lines of his palm with one fingertip.

"What about you?" she said.

"I have no intention of leaving Posies."

Bryony poked him in the ribs as she looked up at him.

"Didn't you get the job just to be close to me?"

"Keen observation, boss. Yes, I did. That's true. But besides the perk of seeing you every day, I like the work."

Bryony fiddled with a loose button on his coat.

"I would have thought you'd be bored with it. You know, after traveling the world."

Sean frowned at her, confused. "What?"

"When you showed up at Wildemoor that first day. You looked like you'd been somewhere..." Bryony gestured vaguely. "Tropical. You were very sunburned."

The corner of Sean's mouth tipped up in amusement.

"Texas is hardly tropical. I was working at a cattle ranch. Hated every minute of it too."

"Why?"

"Hot. Dusty. Dry. Smelled terrible." He tilted his head back against the tree, exposing the line of his throat. "Always preferred the cool, damp forests of Wildemoor anyway."

Bryony leaned in and pressed a kiss to his throat where his pulse ratcheted up a notch.

"Me too," she whispered.

In the distance, Seline screeched that dinner was ready. Sean huffed a laugh.

"Is she still mad at you?" he said.

Bryony rolled her eyes. "Yes. She thinks I stole her man. Her massive crush on you hasn't faded one little bit."

Sean grinned at her. "Well, she'll just have to get used to the fact that I love somebody else."

"SEAN! BRYONY! DINNER! WE'RE NOT WAITING FOR YOU!"

Bryony and Sean stared at each other for a moment. Then they scrambled to their feet, grabbed their brooms and they took off into the air, racing each other back to the house.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Stay tuned for a sneak peak of book #3: A Charmed Life!

Thank you for reading Spelled Kiss! If you liked it, please leave a comment here or a review on Amazon to let others know how much you enjoyed it! ♥