Chapter 1: A Special Dinner

19th August 2018

A car pulled up outside my drive. The honk of it's horn woke me from my daydream. Soon enough, the doorbell rang before someone sang 'Are you ready for the time of your life!' I quickly hurried to the door and unlocked it. He stood there, holding a bunch of balloons and a beautiful bouquet of daffodils, he knew they were my favourites. I smiled, He loved to make an entrance. I looked up into his eyes, those deep brown eyes, too easy to get lost in. Instantly, I felt calm. Like nothing else mattered in the world. Time would stop. My Heart would stop. Everything, would stop. He then offered me his arm, I took it and he led me to his car. Once we got there he opened the door and I climbed inside.

As we drove to this mysterious restaurant, we said nothing. Nothing needed to be said. It wasn't an awkward silence nor did I feel like I needed to say something. As, nothing needed to be said. He hummed to the tune of the song that was played when we first met and straight away I knew that this would be a very special night for the both of us.

When we got to the restaurant, the waitress opened the door for us and led us to an isolated booth in the back corner of the building. A small sign read 'Reserved, for the special couple'. I giggled at the sight that he even personalised the reserved sign for our table. Once we ordered, we spoke about the first time we met, the 19th August 2012. I still remember it like it was yesterday...

I remember walking into my friend's house for her party and feeling so nervous. I knew no one there but her.  She introduced me to everyone but I didn't remember any of their names. Once she started to talking a group of unfamiliar girls I told her I was going to get a drink. I wondered around the front room till I found an empty seat. I sat down and stared at my phone to stop me having to socialise. A few minutes later I had a strange feeling I was being watched. When I looked up I saw a boy sat on the chair opposite me.

' I'm guessing you don't know anyone here,' he said smirking.

'How did you know,' I relied.

'Yeah, well it's quite obvious,' he laughed

'Oh...' I looked at him up and down. He seemed nice.

'I'm Daniel.' he said then smiled at me.

'Josie,' I said back. We then began talking about how we knew my friend and found out we actually lived opposite each other. He gave me his number and I gave him mine. We were very alike and became almost instant friends. But it was not love at first sight because we weren't in some fairy tale where everything happens for a reason.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

I couldn't believe that we had been together for a whole six years. It made me believe that he must be the one. The one I would have a family with. The one I would get married to and grow old with. I couldn't have been more wrong.

The waitress waltzed back over to our table. She gave us a gentle smile as she placed our food on the table. I only nibbled at my food, I was too busy staring at Daniel, star struck at everything about him. If this was a fairy tale my eyes would have turned to big pink love hearts. But this is real life.

We sat in silence, slowly eating. There seemed to be a nervous atmosphere however. I didn't understand why, I was ecstatic that he had remembered our anniversary and brought me dinner. 

"So, how's Mathew?" I asked smiling. Mathew was Daniel's younger brother. He had a taste for mischief but was so kind to me and everyone he knew.

"He's okay. Although he fell out of a tree the other day and my mum had to take him to A&E to get his arm x-rayed." We both laughed.

"A typical day in the Adams household." I giggled and looked at him.

It was then that I noticed a bead of sweat on his temple. Suddenly, he pushed back on his chair, staring at me all the time. He seemed to be fumbling with something in his hands. I heard a gentle click. He stumbled onto the floor. I blinked and realised that he had not fallen off his chair but was kneeling in front of me holding a small, black, velvet box. Slowly, he opened it to reveal a delicate ring. It was very thin but had a glittering diamond that had been carved into a small heart placed precisely in the middle, looking up at me as if asking for an answer too. All at once, the reality of what was happening overwhelmed me. My mouth dropped open and I noticed that faint tears were tumbling down my cheeks. I stuttered.