11 - Walk The Dog

Bucky couldn't exactly tell a hawk from a handsaw. He was completely blind and felt slightly crazy, because sometimes his dog would be there one second, gone the next.

His dog was fairly quiet, but had a huge bark. He'd named him Richard purely for the fact that whenever he acted up, he could yell Dick and make those around him giggle. He couldn't see it, but imagining the looks on their faces was enough.

He took Richard for a walk, listening carefully to the sounds of the road. He'd gotten Richard recently, but already he was proving to be a good dog.

He wasn't very fluffy, but he was a decent-sized dog with sharp ears and a long, whip-like tail. His growl made hair stand on end, but Bucky loved Richard already.

He walked quietly, listening to the people as they passed by, murmuring to themselves. He felt a tug on his sleeve, so he paused and turned around, pale eyes wide.

"What the hell happened to your dog?"

Bucky frowned in annoyance and felt Richard sit at his side obediently. He crossed his arms.

"My dog is none of your business," he said evenly and started walking again.

"No -- that's a demon dog."

Bucky narrowed his sightless eyes. "Excuse you? Who do you think you are?"

"No, I'm literally -- okay," the voice puffed. "I'm not crazy. Your dog is... not a dog."

Bucky patted Richard's head and frowned even more. "So what? He's just not a fluffy dog. I still don't understand how that's any of your business."

The figure sighed in frustration.

"You're Barnes, right? James Barnes?"

Bucky was apprehensive at first but remembered he'd put out requests for a roommate, listed the requirements and all that matter, and posted all around his area with a picture of his face on it so people would know what to look for -- along with Braille messaging beneath that.

"Yes -- and?"

"I was going to apply for the roommate deal..." The man paused as he eyed the dog. "That thing's hairless, but... literal evil."

"Your attitude about my dog already has a 'no' to you, mister."

"Look -- I'll pay the amount and I won't mention the... dog. But I really do need a place to stay," he said. Bucky made a face and slowly stroked his dog.

"And you'll even walk the dog?"

The man this time made a disgusted face that Bucky couldn't see. "Yeah."

Bucky sighed and stuck out a hand. "Fine. Welcome aboard, be nice to my dog."

"Steve Rogers, and... okay." They shook hands.

////

Steve wasn't kidding when he spoke about the supposed demon dog -- it literally had two horns for ears, a long and pointy whip-like tail, and a handful of strands of thinning, matted black hair. Its eyes were black, pupils gold, and its mouth stretched more than half of its face.

Still, its -- his -- name was Richard, and Bucky loved him, so Steve had to, too. Even if he was a literal demon.

////

"So."

It'd been a month or two since Steve'd moved in. He tried to tell Bucky about the dog, but after a while it didn't seem to matter as much.

"So?" Bucky tilted his head as Richard sat beside him with a huff. Steve eyed the dog.

"I'm supposed to take him out for a walk, right?"

Bucky grinned. "Oh, right. The demon dog." Steve rolled his eyes. Bucky would never believe him, and he supposed that was okay. There was no real point to arguing it, anyway. "Well, give him treats when you're out and don't let him bite you."

"I know, I know." Steve gestured for Richard to follow him, and he did. "See you later."

Bucky smiled, knowing his puppy was in good hands.

////

I just had an idea that Bucky was blind and had a literal demon as a dog, but couldn't see it.