2 The Second Piece

The rest of the day was quite extraordinary, since everyone was still thinking about the raging blizzard outside. The snow piled higher and higher, so high Mason thought it was going to burst through the window. They were all cramped in front of the fire, enjoying his mom's amazing cocoa.

"This is so good." said Mason. He said that every time he had some cocoa. "It should be in a cafe. Mom! You should make these at a cafe."

"Well," said his mother with a sigh. "I don't know. I am better at sewing." His mother worked at a fashion shop. She was the top employee. "I mean, this cocoa isn't my true passion."

"Whazzat s'posed to mean?" asked Michael, the 13 year old.

"It means that I don't like making cocoa enough to do it for a living." Said Mom. Suddenly, everyone was arguing about the cocoa. Then, WHOOSH!!! CRACK!!!! The window got smacked with a snowflake the size of a baseball. Everyone stopped arguing and stared at the window in amazement. That snowflake was acting as if it was alive. It squealed against the glass and crawled everywhere. More snowflakes did it, too.

That's when they didn't look like snowflakes anymore. Instead of snowflakes, Mason and his family saw snowballs twice the size of a baseball forming on the window. Mason and his family kept staring as if they were frozen in time.

That's when Mason saw something everybody else didn't. He saw something that made the world grow dark. He saw something the thing the snowballs were making. What he saw made his stomach ache and his head burn. He choked, and the thing he saw was still there, as if it was trying to kill him. Those snowballs were alive, making something. Then, Mason saw a man with a hood, standing, facing him. The hooded man said the word "Quest" and some other things that sounded muffled. Then, the hooded man said it clearly this time: "Quest for the six pieces."

Then the thing the snowballs were making came into shape.

The thing was made of ice, another shard.

                                  It was the second piece.