Prologue // Give Me A Chance

"My brother started something, I just want to finish it

"My brother started something, I just want to finish it. Maybe avenge him while I'm at it."

It's a busy recruitment office. There are many men lined up, waiting to see if they'd been accepted or trying to get accepted to serve their country. Nothing is out of the ordinary except... there are two who are waiting that stick out.

A frail and thin looking blond man, who looks like he would hit the ground if a strong breeze blew by...

And a woman.

Most of the men waiting have the same theory in their head: she's either waiting for her boyfriend or her brother. Because there is no way that a woman is trying to enlist in-

      "Murphy, June." An army doctors calls, stumbling over the first name when he realizes how feminine it is. The woman in question stands, her long dark brown hair pulled tight against her skull as her ponytail hangs between her shoulder blades, swishing as she starts to walk forward with confidence. She pays none of the men any mind, simply keeping her eyes forward, and chin high.

She definitely turns heads as she seems to float past them with how graceful she walks. The frail blond is too overcome by nervousness to realize the phenomenon that is occurring. His eyes are glued to the newspaper, head buried behind it.

      "Right this way, ma'am." The army doctor calls politely, leading June down a hall before entering a back room. The door shuts behind the two and the doctor gives the June a very lost expression. He didn't seem to know how to handle it.

     "I trust you took a gander through my records?" June questions, staying strictly professional as she stands there. Upon getting a nod, June smiles slightly. "I have no past medical or health issues. I am at the peak of my health, I'm not pregnant, I carry no illnesses, and I've been trained in hand-to-hand combat. The only real issue I face is training myself to handle a gun." June lists before looking the doctor dead in the eye. "There is absolutely no reason for you to deny my application." She states.

He looks her over before sighing, "I can't accept your application. I'm going to have to say no. Sorry." The army doctor replies and June narrows her eyes.

     "Why? Because I'm a woman?" June growls, clenching her fists at her sides. The doctor sighs.

     "Sorry." He repeats before stamping 4F in her application and sending her on her way.

     "Wait!" Another man calls just before she leaves the room. June turns and finds an aging man with a receding hairline, a mustache and beard, and a bit of a gut. "I am Doctor Abraham Erskine. I represent the Strategic Scientific Reserve." The man introduces, holding a hand out to June.

     "June Elaine Murphy." June replies, taking the offered hand and shaking it firmly. "Most call me June, and close friends call me Jem." June adds as an after thought. Dr. Erskine gives the woman a gentle smile.