Chapter 1

//You know, one of these days, I'm actually going to be happy with a story I publish and leave it alone! //

Early Morning. The birds were barely awake and singing their morning tunes and the rest of the world was still sleeping, and yet there was one house in Purgatory that was wide awake. The light was pouring from behind all the closed curtains of the Earp homestead as Wynonna Earp, the elder of the two remaining Earp sisters, was running around the lower story, frantically, as she tried to find her missing bags. She was due to be leaving on a business trip in less than 30 minutes and as she came downstairs earlier that morning for her scalding hot coffee, she noticed, even through her half-asleep haze, that her suitcases and assorted bags that she had placed right by the front door just a few hours prior, before collapsing into bed, had mysteriously disappeared. 

Wynonna tried to remember her breathing exercises that her therapist had suggested she tried whenever she got overwhelmed, and ran her hands through her hair, pushing all the little strands, that had fallen out during the panic, back underneath her hairband. Wynonna hadn't even bothered to get dressed that morning, just opting for comfy sweats and leaving the hairband, that she always slept with, in her hair. 

Once she had got her breathing and heart rate back under control, she yelled upstairs to her younger sister. Normally, Wynonna wouldn't be able to call for her sister as Waverly wouldn't ever dare to be up at this ungodly hour, she was rarely up before 9:30 am, even when she was working, but Wynonna dragged her lazy ass out of bed so she could be there to wave Wynonna and Xavier off. 

She waited for a few seconds, and when she heard no answer, she yelled again. 

"Waverly! Big sister down here, having a major crisis!" 

Wynonna made sure to yell louder so Waverly heard her. Unbeknownst to Wynonna, Waverly was in the middle of a shower and couldn't hear anything over the pattering of the running water hitting the bottom of the bathtub. While she waited for an answer, Waverly spun herself back around towards the door and stared at the empty spot where her bags were, with her hands on her hips and her left leg jutted out slightly, leaving all her weight rested on her right hip. She just couldn't figure out where the bags had gone even if it would've saved her life in a hostage situation. 

About 5 minutes after her left attempt at shouting for Waverly, the bathroom door opens then closes again quietly and the soft padding of feet can be heard coming downstairs. Wynonna whips her head around the door frame and watches as an exhausted Waverly trudges her way downstairs, finishing wrapping her towel around her hair. When Waverly catches Wynonna's eye, she chuckles at her sister's confused expression. 

"What's the matter with you?"

Wynonna pointed at the door. Waverly turned herself around and stood next to her sister, so they were at the same vantage point. 

"What exactly am I looking at?" 

This was a brand new guessing game that Waverly had never had the honor of playing with her sister, and now they were both standing there, staring at the blank spot near the door, just as confused as each other. 

"What's wrong with this picture? What's missing from it?" 

Wynonna looked at Waverly and Waverly just wanted to laugh, thinking the sleep deprivation of being a Black Badge Agent and a mom had finally got to her, but Waverly quickly realized that Wynonna was deadly serious. Waverly frowned slightly and turned her head back over to where she was just staring at and took a proper look before shrugging, still entirely stumped. 

"OK, I officially have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at."

"My bags! I put all my stuff by the door last night and when I came down this morning, they were gone!"