~:~ Prologue ~:~

~:~ Lance loved rain. The smell, the sound, the feeling he got in his chest as he sat and watched it fall down like glimmering crystals. He loved the feeling of it landing drop by drop against his face. Back where he lived in Cuba, it didn't rain often. So living here where the sky cried in masses nearly all year was like living in pure bliss for him.

Keith loved the look Lance made when the rain was pouring. He looked serene, peaceful and content with life. He always looked beautiful. When Lance looked like that, Nothing could ever possibly be wrong with Keith's life. Lance loved the rain, and Keith loved Lance. He always would.

He could never not.

~~~

The night was still and motionless. Cool and crisp as crickets and nocturnal creatures shuffled and buzzed through their homes, the calm of the twilight night had become their playground. The air heavy with the scent of dew and recently fallen rain filled their senses and left them feeling just a little bit refreshed.

SPLASH! 

Puddle water kicked up as his boot came down with relenting force. He could see his breath before him. Rough, labored and ragged. His heart pounding in the cage it was bound to and the cool air whipping against his face brought tears to his eyes. He didn't know how much farther he could go. His muscles burnt and ached and giving way was starting to look more and more like an inevitable outcome. But he had to keep going. They had to keep going.

"There's a gas station up ahead, just a little further Lance!" Keith's voice called through the thick fog. With breathless determination, he ushered for Lance to keep running in front of him as fast as he could. But even he was finding it an increasing struggle to keep on his feet and moving forward. With a staggered gulp of air and a quick swipe across his forehead to get rid of the sweat that formed. He whispered the words again under his breath, this time as though to reassure himself.

"Just a little further..."

How long they'd been running, neither could remember. All they knew was forward and behind. Ahead, the white and red flash of a neon light of a gas station shone through the fog. Relief washed through Lance's system and an adrenaline induced smile appeared on his lips.

"There!" He cheered, glancing back to find an exhausted smile on Keith's face, just a few feet behind him.

But this relief was short lived, as a shadow in the thick, icy air down the road behind them had Lance's smile falling and his heart along with it. They'd caught up.

Lance took a shaky breath, squeezing his eyes shut as he impossibly pushed himself to pick up the pace. Keith caught on and with a short look behind him, fear filled his veins.

"RUN!"

BANG!

Lance's shoulder exploded with such an incredible pain, it instantly made his whole body feel numb. Heat and searing pain shot down each and all of his limbs. A choked gasp left his lips as he lost balance in his legs. Ultimately, the shocking strike had him tumbling forward and down onto the wet bitumen of the highway. His shoulder was on fire and it took him everything he had in himself to force down the scream that struggled and fought up his throat and against his lips. Reaching up to desperately clutch against the pain, a warm and sticky sensation lathered his hand.