The Beginning of the End

Amira Above

Hey all! So sorry for the late upload, my laptop went belly up. I am really excited to be working on this story again! Let me know what you think of Parker! I will be putting up a picture in the next part of what he looks like so keep your eyes on the screen ;)

The moon was shining brightly as the whole pack gathered to greet the Alpha and his family. I was happy to see that they had a new cub with them, barely more than a newborn. She cooed as her father warmly welcomed the pack, and got down to business. 

"Thank you all for attending tonight, it warms my heart so see so many loyal members. Long ago, our people were lost with out anyone to guide them. But now, we are at peace once more. We will be spending two weeks here, and then returning to our home in the North." Alpha Terriance informed us all, and there were some cheers. Amira was craning her neck, trying to get a look at the heir. I suppose a lot of the she-wolves were trying to catch a glimpse at him, hoping that they would be his mate. I was interested as well. Being the Luna would be such a great responsibility. The Luna is said to be the peace keeper of the packs, and it is her job to make sure the Alpha is not too reckless. Male wolves are known for their tempers, and with out their mates their tempers seem to run wild. Most learn to get a handle of it, but every year with out their mates would make it worse. I had never seen it personally, I had only heard the stories told around the fires at night. 

"Now, before we get into the pack business that has brought us here, I would like to introduce to you your next Alpha, my son, Parker!" Alpha Terriance proclaimed, and the heir stepped forward. As I looked at him, I could see an other reason why women would want to be his mate. His rugged features could lure any wolf to his side, and his stature was something to behold. He was a head taller then our leader, who stood off to the side of the Alpha family. Parker seemed amused by the reaction of the crowd, who were currently going crazy in welcoming him. I clapped along with everyone else, and did my best to look respectful. Amira nudged me and wagged her eyebrows at me. I laughed, which got lost in all the noise going on. I watched as Parker waved to the pack, and looked back at his father. Something about the glance seemed strange to me, but I assumed they were mind linking. Male wolves were able to do this at will, no matter who the other wolf was. Females had to give their consent for this to happen, although to story as to why was long since forgotten. Something about an incident from long ago between mates was the common understanding passed down. Parker cleared his throat, and the pack quieted down for him to speak. 

"Thank you all. I look forward to mingling with you in a few moments, but there are a few matters which must be addressed first. As many of you have heard, I am searching for my mate in the packs across our land. Although I can understand why this might cause a stir, I would like to let you all know that no funny business will be permitted. This is still an official visit, and I do not want that to get lost in all the excitement. I would also like to issue a warning for the whole pack. Rouges have been sighted in the neighboring packs, so be aware and cautious. Be watchful of your young, and try to stay in a group when hunting. We don't want any loss of life, so please. Take care of one another, and protect the vulnerable who can not protect themselves." Parker looked over the pack, towards the elderly and the children. I smiled, and Amira seemed to be beaming. There was hope for Parker, as young as he was. The role of Alpha would probably pass to him in the next two years, after he completed his training. Alpha Terriance seemed pleased with his sons speech, and nodded to him when he resumed standing beside him. The Alpha looked across his pack and smiled sweetly. 

"Now, lets get this party started!" 

-------------------------------------------

The sun was beginning to rise when the party come to its close. Parker had been going through the pack, shaking hands with them all. As our pack was large, he had left the omegas until last. Since I had stuck close to Amira all night, I had not gotten the chance to meet him yet. I had watched him from afar, and he seemed to be doing alright. I can only imagine the pressure he was under to impress the packs. This was probably his only chance to meet them all before he takes the throne, and has more pressing issues then shaking hands. I was impressed that he was taking the time at all, since I always thought the heir would be stuck up. Not that it would be entirely his fault, being raised to think you are better then everyone else just comes with the territory of being an alpha. As he approached us, Amira started to giggled nervously. 

"Jade, he's headed this way! Quick, do I look alright? Hows my hair? Do I have food in my teeth?" Amira was gripping my arm like it was the only thing holding her on the grass. I looked over at her and grinned. "You look fine Amira. Beautiful as always." I said to her softly, so no one but her would hear me. She attempted to smooth her fiery locks, but there was really no point. It was always dancing like a flame anyway, unless tied back in a ponytail. As he stopped in front of us, I saw a glimmer in his eye as he looked at Amira. Not shocking, she really was a stunning young wolf. There was a moment of hope in his eyes as he reached out to shake her hand, but as soon as their palms touched it died. 

"Good evening my dear." He said, kissing the back of her hand. Amira smiled, but looked mildly disappointed. "Good evening." Amira mumbled, and I nudged her. She cleared her throat and said it again more clearly. I stifled a giggle, and Parker looked down at me. I smiled pleasantly at him, and he offered his hand. But, I noticed it was with out the hopeful glimmer I had seen before. I tried not to offence to it, but it stung a little. I reached out to shake his hand, already planning my walk home with Amira. But, as my palm touched his, sparks flew. Parkers eyes went wide as he studied me, and I pulled my hand away from his. Amira gasped, and put her arm around my shoulder to steady me. No one else was watching us, and Parker quickly glanced around nervously. I was unsure of what was going to happen now. Usually the high borns don't announce their mates until they have been marked, so I tried to calm myself before I gave it away. Parker nodded, almost to himself. 

"Meet me in the woods in an hour." His voice sounded strained, and he walked away with out an other glance. Amira turned me to face her, and was grinning like an idiot. My thoughts still hadn't caught up with what had just happened, and it was so fast that I was sure no one else caught on. For the first time since that dreaded night, I felt a moment of happiness. I just hoped it wouldn't end the same way as before.